MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Russia's Irkut aircraft maker said Tuesday it will export 242 multi-role Su-30?  (Read 6041 times)

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
Who placed these orders? 

Quote from article
“Russia's Irkut aircraft maker said Tuesday it will export 242 multi-role Su-30 Flanker fighters, worth around $7 billion, by 2014.”

Who placed these orders for additional Flankers I thought after the Algeria nothing confirmed were on the books.   India’s future order for (18) Su-30 MKI is in the talking stages and with India that could really drag out.  I think maybe Irkut are feeling a little heat from RSG MIG and maybe future Chinese aircraft sales?    Maybe since India already won a services contract on one of there clients and may win another they (Irkut) needed to get something out?  Service and training contracts are very big and usually make large profits for the aircraft maker.  One can assume a new contract maybe announced but usually Russia leaks them out I guess were wait and see.   

Full article
http://en.rian.ru/russia/20070619/67464798.html

Offline Globetrotter

• Hero of Flight
  • I'm Thomas (now Globetrotter)
China? Who else could order so many aircraft ??? Iran??
"Ad Astra Per Aspera"   (5º Grupo de Caza ≈ A-4AR Fightinghawk)

~ MALVINAS ARGENTINAS ~

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
After Algeria as far I can find out there aren't any other orders.   Iran has never ordered Flankers and China doesn't have anything on the books at this current time.  There's a chance of some carried base Su-33 Flankers but to date nothing been signed.   Irkut been out sold in signed contracts by Mig for 2006 and 2007 and that's something that doesn't happen much.  I think this is "lets get any story out" type press release and nothing more.   I'm not saying there afraid but maybe a little concern no aircraft maker wants unused production lines.   I think losing the maintenance and service contracts to India on one newer clients and maybe a second might be a wake up call to Irkut.   

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
Come on guys, read it better:

To date, contracts have been signed for 242 aircraft with a total value of about $7 billion," company president Oleg Demchenko said at Le Bourget international air show near Paris.

Demchenko said most of Su-30 aircraft would be delivered to India under previous and future contracts.

I think the 242 number is the following:

India 32x Su-30MKI
India 140x Su-30MKI kits for HAL
India 40x Su-30MKI kits for HAL
India 18x Su-30MKM
India 28x Su-30MKA
India 18x Su-30MKI, Su-30K replacements

=> 276

Okay now, subtract the 32 Su-30MKI already delivered, and the 2x Su-30MKM....that gives you 242. Precise HAL deliveries are unknown to Irkut, so they didn't subtract those.

China/Vietnam/Venezuela are all KnAAPO-built Flankers.
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
Thanks for correct and updated information.  javascript:void(0);
Wink

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA