MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Russian Air Force fighters  (Read 4658 times)

Offline God Bless USA

• Flight Leader
Russian Air Force fighters
« on: May 31, 2008, 05:07:51 PM »
The USAF uses the F-15 and the F-16 fighters.  They are slowly starting production of the F-22A Raptor.  What fighters do the Russia Air Force use?  Are they developing a new fighter that is starting production now?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 02:47:09 PM by Webmaster »

Offline alyster

• Hero of Flight
Re: Rissia Air Force
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 12:48:29 AM »
VVS is still pretty much  flying some sort of Mig-29s, Mig-31s and Su-27s, which are or have been upgraded. New 4.5 generation fighters such as the Mig-35 and Su-35 are not common at all for the VVS. These are more for export or for just developmen projects like the Su-37. However now they are more serious with their fifth generation fighter project "PAK-FA". Latest sources I know of say that its first flight should be in 2009. So it is few years behind the F-35, however nothing major in the bigger picture. The problem in the development as I remember were the engines. They were a year behind than the rest of the project. Kinda hard to fly with out them.

Besides fighters Russian VVS has been expanding its Su-34 fleet as I've personally noticed in the news. They've had some troubles lately with the Su-24s which have crashed and been grounded on several ocaions. Rest of the fleet and the rest of the Russian armed forces are going thru some big upgrading projects. Rumors of a new bomber "PAK-DA" have been around also, but they are to my mind as much real as the "Spy plane Aurora".

Aside from technical side they've boosted their activety alot. And I'm not only talking about the bomber fleet that has gotten some media coverage by restoring its soviet era patrols above Atlantic and Pacific. They've crashed some Suhkois into NATO countries, shot down Goergian UAVs and so on. Very arrogant air force.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 12:51:32 AM by alyster »
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes

Offline God Bless USA

• Flight Leader
Re: Russian Air Force fighters
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 11:08:46 PM »
Thank you for the informaion!

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA