MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: New and more powerful engine for the JAS 39 Gripen aircraft  (Read 10247 times)

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
  • What's the next big thing?
Re: New and more powerful engine for the JAS 39 Gripen aircraft
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2007, 03:05:25 PM »
Max fuel is 38% more. If maximum thrust turns out to consume more than that, wouldn't it result in less time being flown at maximum speed?
-JCLim

Offline valkyrian

• Fighter Ace
  • Goodbye my friend Tigershark, R.I.P.
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2008, 09:57:27 AM »
Good thing  ;)about that new engine is that it is very powerful with a T/W of about 9-1. But :

a stronger engine consumes more ???, so unless they fix a proper fuel fraction the stronger engine might dry the fuel tanks faster than the old one ???.

Also, if a modification to the inlets will be necessary there is always the danger of spoiling the airplanes aerodynamics. This is what happened to the F-4 GR. British opted for the Rolls Royce Spey engine ;D, throwing out the J79 :'(. They had to modify the inlets ;D and despite the fact that the RR engine was much more powerful, the British Pantoms are the slowest  :'((in top speed) and lowest (in ceiling) :'(...

.... >:D......devils advocate.... >:D...........

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
  • What's the next big thing?
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2008, 02:47:15 PM »
Gahaha. Actually, unfortunately for Gripen (Liebeck, that is), I'm with valkyrian on this one. Modifying aircraft can be a tricky business. Apparently after ST Aerospace re-fitted the A-4s with the F404, lots of cracks started appearing on the airframe. They put in so much effort perfecting the modifications that they still keep that antique around.

Though we did not sacrifice speed or performance... ;D

So imagine if this new engine consumes about 1.5 times the old engine. Tragedy! The tanks dry out in record time! If they could make it run on pure vapour for an hour, though... ;D
-JCLim

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA