MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Should the F/A-22 Raptor be offered for export?  (Read 33826 times)

Offline TOPGUN4LIFE

• Pilot
  • TOPGUN CHOLO
Re: Should the F/A-22 Raptor be offered for export?
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2005, 06:01:22 AM »
NO because its fun fighting other fighters out there not the same one fighting each other. gotta have some fun not nowing the others ability!
The hustla in TOPGUN!

Offline WRCKid

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2006, 01:27:43 AM »
Lot of Fighter Jets, Personals, Missiles etc win's its war.

But Viatnam war not wins by USA.
Hate, so say it but brawn does not always win wars. The US doesn't admit defeat in Vietnam, (even though it was evidently clear of the outcome) though the US certainly had the capability to win the war, superior technology, highly trained military, and logistical support, but it lacked planning, during the vietnam conflict the orders were coming down from washington as oppossed to the field generals in country, the decission making was left to the politicians they know dick about fighting an enemy that they know absolutly nothing about.

I'm sorry I'll be quiet now, by no means am I trying to give the wrong image or the wrong impression.

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
  • We are not promised a tomorrow.
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2006, 12:07:48 AM »
Well you are right on one point. The most common excuse they use of the vietnam war is: They won the battles but lost the war.

But i think  all that  "chest out, flex your biceps"  mentality from the cold war era have stayed with US goverment. Thou rest of the world have adapted to a more relaxed way of life.  Guess thats why many countries find them insulting.
  • Interests: SAAB 37 Viggen
Patrik S.

Offline WRCKid

• Veteran
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2006, 12:12:48 AM »
Well you are right on one point. The most common excuse they use of the vietnam war is: They won the battles but lost the war.

But i think  all that  "chest out, flex your biceps"  mentality from the cold war era have stayed with US goverment. Thou rest of the world have adapted to a more relaxed way of life.  Guess thats why many countries find them insulting.
Oh I agree with you 100%, it's kind of like "act now, ask questions later"

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2006, 03:53:15 PM »
The discussion is in the spotlight again, but still not reaching the top decision makers yet.

http://www.military.com/features/0,15240,88282,00.html?ESRC=dod-bz.nl
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline wwj6392

• Recruit
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2006, 06:51:11 PM »
Well I think it shouldnt be offered, like the first post said, most of our big allies (except Isreal) have their own projects and the other ones will sell the technology and the other ones cant afford it and/or keep them in good repair.
I say sell them the F-4, F-16, F/A-18, F-14, etc.

Offline Tomcatboy48237

• Pilot
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2006, 03:26:42 AM »
I've heard Japan is a front runner to buy the F-22.  Since they are relegated to a Self-Defense Force, their version will be stripped of the air to ground capabilities present in the USAF version.  This will help lower the cost, probably a decent amount.

Also something I noticed is Japan's location, close to China.  What is the Raptor still being delevoped for?  In case war with China breaks out.  Where are the Raptors being stationed?  Almost exclusively to the West.  I think the Air Force views a potential sale to Japan as the potential to have a free unit of their premier weapon stationed exactly where they want it.   

Happiness is Tomcat-shaped.

I love the smell of jet fuel in the morning.

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
Re: Should the F-22 Raptor be offered for export?
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2006, 01:13:33 PM »
First of all, big welcome to Tomcatboy48237 and wwj6392. I'm glad you decided to join!

Good point Tomcat. Although I don't believe much in the Self Defense force thing much (Japan deployed troops to Iraq) I think you have a fair point, that Japan operating F-22s has more pros than cons for the US. Also if Japan operates them, and the US operates them from Japan (and South Korea probably), it makes it worthwhile to put infrastructure and logistics into place for premanent deployment. However up till now, the US wants to base them  at Alaska (Elmendorf AFB) and Hawaii (Hickam AFB) I think, both already pretty close to east Asia. So not exclusively to the West as you said...
The others up till now are currently Langley AFB and preferred is Holloman AFB.

Japan is also one of the few allies with enough budget to acquire them, and one of the few allies that would want it without destabilizing the region.

The only problem with such a sale to Japan, I think, is that Taiwan will be requesting them next. China (probably one of the biggest trade partners of the USA) won't be happy about that you know.
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Tomcatboy48237

• Pilot
Re: Should the F-22 Raptor be offered for export?
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2006, 06:57:14 PM »
Yep, good points also.

However up till now, the US wants to base them  at Alaska (Elmendorf AFB) and Hawaii (Hickam AFB) I think, both already pretty close to east Asia. So not exclusively to the West as you said...
The others up till now are currently Langley AFB and preferred is Holloman AFB.

I generalized them as the west coast of the US, but those were the places I was referring to.

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2006, 07:35:01 PM »
Hehehe, ah west coast... sorry,  for me the east-coast is in the west, and the west-coast is closest to the far east... so that's why I misunderstood ;D
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Tomcatboy48237

• Pilot
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2006, 08:50:50 PM »
It's all good, haha.  Where are you at anyways?

Offline alyster

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2006, 09:22:19 PM »
Not only China but N. Korea also. Korea isn't a big military power, however S.Korea and Japan need something to scear the glowing nuclear commies with.
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA