MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Venezuela Su-30MK2 AMV  (Read 9263 times)

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
Venezuela Su-30MK2 AMV
« on: June 14, 2007, 01:59:48 PM »
Let's start a topic on the Flankers of Venezuela. What we know is:

• 24 ordered, 8 delivered
  • Variant is the Sukhoi/KnAAPO Su-30MK2 AMV, Aviacion Militar Venezuela, also known as Su-30MKV by the media
  • Produced by KnAAPO in Russia, delivered by An-124, test-flown after re-assembly by Russian test pilots.
  • Grupo Aéreo de Caza 13 "Libertador Simon Bolivar" based at Base Aérea Luis Del Valle Garcia
  • FAV pilots underwent training in Russia

What we (or I) don't know:

• Weapons included in the deal? Probably included R-73 and R-27, but what about R-77? ASMs?
  • Differences in equipment compared to Chinese Su-30MK2s?
  • Reportedly the deal could have included an option for 24 more, but unconfirmed?
  • What will happen to the F-16s and Mirages?

Some pictures:
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Globetrotter

• Hero of Flight
  • I'm Thomas (now Globetrotter)
Re: Venezuela Su-30MK2 AMV
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 02:33:29 PM »
I feel this will be a good topic ;)

I have another uncertainty, tht you may know though... :

• When are the pilots, and theairplanes, going to be fully operational??
"Ad Astra Per Aspera"   (5º Grupo de Caza ≈ A-4AR Fightinghawk)

~ MALVINAS ARGENTINAS ~

Offline valkyrian

• Fighter Ace
  • Goodbye my friend Tigershark, R.I.P.
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 10:06:49 AM »
Real beauties...these decorations reminds me of the good old days where the USN had colourful markings on its birds.

Offline Globetrotter

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 05:17:01 PM »
I agree... nowadays' comous tend to be dull grey... :-\

~ MALVINAS ARGENTINAS ~

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 05:54:24 PM »
When do they become operational depend on many factors mostly training and the money it takes to get it going.  Chavez has the money so that's not the problem I was reading somewhere that the VAF lacks good trainers.  I'm looking for where I read that so I could add it.   Venezuela just lost a Mirage 50 last week to I wonder how well maintain aircraft and equipment are?    From what I've read you can cut corners in training but you end up having pilots that can take off and fly around the base and then land.   If the VAF can get a few of the Vipers flying and maintain them for a period of time (I'm sure some Viper parts can be bought on the black market) what a good chance for Viper vs Flankers hands on training.   When is Chavez going to place a follow order?  It take two to three years to produce these Flankers and the investment in training and parts would be better suited for a second squadron to be added on.   Maybe he's thinking of another aircraft that uses the same engine as the Flanker?

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 03:48:25 PM »
Well that's true, they do lack jet trainers, only have a couple of VF-5A/Bs for the role. They have been overhauled couple of years ago, instead of being retired to serve as trainers...because the AMX-T deal didn't happen.

Also the current Flanker pilots are all experienced pilots (mostly former F-16 I think) who have been trained in Russia.

Yak-130 would be an interesting option, or have all jet training move to Russia.

Anyway, some more info on the current status:

Caracas, Monday July 09 , 2007 

Venezuela has 20 Sukhoi-certified pilots

The Venezuelan military aviation has 20 pilots and 87 non-commissioned officers, attached to the Libertador Simón Bolívar Fighters Air Group 13 (G-13), who were certified in the first basic training course for flying Russian-made Sukhoi warplanes.

During a first stage, the Venezuelan military were trained in Moscow, specifically in the Sukhoi manufacturing plant. They continued training in Venezuela, upon arrival of the first warplanes the Venezuelan government purchased from Russia.

Russian instructors Sergei Bogdab, Igor Botinsevv, Slava Aberianov and Konstantine Kochkaryov were in charge of the training program for Venezuelan pilots.

Last May 19, the Venezuelan officers who completed the training course were awarded the relevant certificates.

Other Venezuelan Army and Aviation officers are currently in Russia for training in operation and maintenance of MI26 helicopters, the largest choppers in the world.

For six months, a group of Venezuelan officers, including a woman, will be trained in operational and theory topics.

El Universal
http://english.eluniversal.com/2007/07/09/en_pol_art_venezuela-has-20-suk_09A896789.shtml
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Globetrotter

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 03:58:30 PM »
If they had joint the Mercosur (you know it?) even the AT-63 could have been bought... ::)?

~ MALVINAS ARGENTINAS ~

Offline Sergei

• Pilot
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2007, 10:34:33 AM »
Last days there were messages, that Venezuela can become the first buyer of fighter Su-35. As I also spoke. 8)
Жыве Беларусь!

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA