MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Soviet aircraft colours  (Read 9908 times)

Offline Zeke

• Pilot
Soviet aircraft colours
« on: April 04, 2005, 12:13:55 PM »
Good day to you all.
I'm hoping that someone on here will be able to provide me some information about modern(ish) Soviet aircraft colours.

Being a keen modeller I'm trying to get the right colour matches for a MiG21 MF, done in the Sand/Brown/ Light blue scheme.
I have a whole bunch of FS codes for the paints but no information about Russian systems of paint identification and numbering, I guess they wouldn't use the decadent Imperialist American system so what did they use (still use?).
Any and all information would be greatly appreciated.

have a good day.

SAE
Do not despise the snake for having no horns. for who is to say it will not become a Dragon?
}:)

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
Re: Soviet aircraft colours
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2005, 01:09:30 PM »
Hello, and welcome to the MILAVIA forum!

I guess they must have had their own kind of state/federal collection of colors and coding system for them. But don't have any information.

Are the FS codes not good enough matches for the Soviet colors?
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Zeke

• Pilot
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2005, 12:06:07 PM »
Hiya Webmaster Sir, thank you for the welcome.

I've been entirely unsuccessful in finding any such system in use in Russia during the cold war period...it seems that everyone else had some sort of standard (F.S being the obvious one) but not the Russians. In discussions with a friend of mine in USAF intelligence it seems that they never did, which seems very odd as they had a sort of system during WWII but after that it all just goes very murky.

The FS codes for the paints are a bit off, especially the Sand and Light Blue/grey, they don't look much like the photo's I've seen of the real aircraft. It's going to be mix and match job for them, but I really wnated to know about their standardisation of such things...ho hum, I'm sure something will come up in the end.

Thanks again and keep up the good work.

Do not despise the snake for having no horns. for who is to say it will not become a Dragon?
}:)

Offline Air Marshal

• Fighter Ace
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2005, 04:07:12 PM »
Soviets use colours for their Aircrafts is " RED" and "Blue" commonly.
PAKISTAN AIR FORCE (www.paffalcons.com)

FOR THOSE WHO DARE THE FUTURE IN THE SKIES

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2005, 04:46:48 PM »
Yes, those are the colors of the bort numbers. We are talking about the system of color codes for the individual colors that are used for their overall paint schemes/camoflage. For example the code for the grey color of the MiG-31. FS is one such code system, but you might expect the Soviets to have their own system for colors.
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA