MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Indonesia's Air Force Adds More Flankers  (Read 7372 times)

Offline WRCKid

• Veteran
Indonesia's Air Force Adds More Flankers
« on: August 29, 2007, 11:55:51 PM »
Russia's MAKS air show doesn't have quite the international clout of Farnborough or Le Bourget, but the price and quality of modern Russian fighters ensures its place on the international circuit. This year, Russian sources claim that $3 billion in civil and military contracts were signed at MAKS 2007. This year, the top military contract came on opening day, when Rosoboronexport State Corporation and the Republic of Indonesia signed a $300 million contract for 3 SU-27SKM and 3 SU-30MK2 fighters.

Indonesia's 12 remaining F-16A/Bs and 16 remaining F-5E/F fighters experienced severe maintenance problems in the wake of a US embargo, which was triggered the Indonesian military's widespread human rights abuses in East Timor. A $192 million contract began to address that in 2003 by buying 2 SU-27SK single-seat and 2 Su-30MKK twin-seat multi-role fighters from Russia, and Indonesia appears to be continuing with that course despite the lifting of the US embargo in November 2005. A large diesel-electric attack submarine deal may also be in the works with Russia, as part of an oil-fueled modernization drive backed by increased military spending.

Flanker customers
(click to view full)The SU-27SKM and SU-30MK2 are parallel upgrade programs with many modifications in common, including the addition of digital cockpits with updated avionics, additional wing hardpoints, carrying capacity upgrades to 8000 kg of weapons, a wider variety of weapon options, upgraded radars and ECM, and in-flight refueling capability. These modifications change the SU-27 from a dedicated air superiority fighter to a versatile attack aircraft as well, and both planes share the Sukhoi Flanker family's combination of long range, large payloads, and air to air performance that can match or beat any American fighter except the F-22A Raptor.

Question is how does Australia feel about the shifting in power on the region....?

I found some articles, about this very interesting.
http://www.ausairpower.net/APA-Flanker.html

http://www.spacewar.com/reports/Jets_for_Jakarta_Part_One_999.html

Offline Sergei

• Pilot
Re: Indonesia's Air Force Adds More Flankers
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 12:23:15 AM »
Excuse, but you in general speak about what infringements of human rights??? You have similar forgotten, as the USA already during almost 5 years every day break human rights in Iraq and Afghanistan. At you still language turns to speak about infringement of human rights? Unscrupulous. The USA do everything, that will want. The politics "who is stronger, that and the rights". The United Nations are completely ignored, and, your diligence transform in inutile and almost nothing the weighing organization. Well all right. Only remember one: there is such Christian saying (anyway at orthodox) - by all will be rendered. And the USA will be overtaken with a severe penalty. I not the religious fanatic, and even completely not devout person. But the history confirms my words. Sorry for offtopic. Hasn't restrained.

Indonesia arms only for modernization of the Armed forces (in particular, Air Forces). About any escalating arms in this region of speech cannot go. Besides, the unique opponent of Indonesia can be China.
Жыве Беларусь!

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 11:43:00 AM »
Let's not go on about human rights, all superpowers and most other nations do at least somewhere or something wrong.

Ah man, chill, without all the US embargos we wouldn't see so many Flanker exports.  :D

@ WRCKid:  [ quote ] your quotes [/ quote] please

Now about Indonesia, it isn't much, few Flankers, until they start using them in East Timor if the situation gets out of control, then even one is enough, but so is one F-16 or one Hawk, made flyable by cannibalizing the others. Anyway then, the UN will probably ask Russia for an arms embargo. China as only component? Well, unless some things change in the region or in the country itself... you'll never know, it's quite likely. I'd say let them have their Flankers, it's not like the rest of the region is armed with sticks and knives. We'll see when they can afford weapons btw I think the R-77 is not even on offer....

• Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline WRCKid

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 08:08:31 PM »
No problem Neils, we'll do. I'm not even going to comment on the second post of this thread...

Offline Sergei

• Pilot
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 10:21:53 PM »
It became known, that Indonesia is interested in purchase at Russia 20 fighters Su-30MK2 and Su-27SKM (till 10 of both types), and also 2 submarines of the project 636 and 2 "Amur". Besides will be bought 3 more Mi-35M and 10 Mi-17V-5 in addition to earlier got 5 Mi-35M and 10 Mi-17V-5. Also purchase of party S-300PMU-2 "Favorit" is planned.
Жыве Беларусь!

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 03:14:56 AM »
Yep, I've read it as well. It's not really surprising news, Indonesia has been releasing that it plans to have at least one full squadron of Flankers, and wanted to buy new helicopters as well. The subs and S-300s are news to me. But they are all plans, Indonesia has so far been struggling to gather funds for any outright purchases. But since this total 'wish list' is known today, I am guessing the Russian government has offered some financial scheme?
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA