MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Flankers in a striker or attack role  (Read 13361 times)

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
Re: Flankers in a striker or attack role
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2007, 03:08:12 PM »
China is copying everything, so I can understand Russia's concern. However, the Chinese might also have thought that since it is planning carrier-capable Su-33s now, it doesn't need those.

China vs Russia. Bit off topic... But well, I don't think it would be likely scenario, but Russia does have serious defences in the east, with the 11th and 14th Army. Each has a regiment of MiG-31 and several Su-25 and Su-24 regiments near the border. The navy's pacific fleet also has a regiment of MiG-31s, the only one in the Navy. The 11th has the 22nd and 23rd IAP equipped with Su-27s. The 23rd at Dzemgi got the first batch of upgraded Su-27SM. I think the first MiG-31BMs are also scheduled to head east. Sergei?

F-15E doesn't have a dedicated anti-shipping missile, I'll give you that. But you are forgetting about the AGM-130, AGM-154 and AGM-158, which are really precise. Until the Russians have their GPS guided weapons, the F-15E is way better. Also the broad range of both laser guided and GPS guided bombs is far bigger than the Russian selection.  GBU-28 bunker buster and the new GPS guided small diameter bombs. Then there are the wind corrected cluster bombs. I also think that the LANTIRN pod is better than anything the Russians have fielded so far? And the Sniper XR pod is at a level in terms of resolution that was unheard of 5 years back. All the tactical information can be datalinked to/from other aircraft, I know Russian aircraft also have data links, but I doubt the bandwidth is sufficient for real-time feeds at the level of the US sensors.

By the way, how does the Zhuk-M's compare to the APG-70 in surface modes?
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Sergei

• Pilot
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2007, 10:16:42 PM »
Webmaster, you are right. Under the nomenclature of applied operated aviation bombs F-15E, certainly, surpasses not only Su-30MK2, but also Su-34. For Russia in a plenty are available only KAB-500KR and KAB-500L. As to such aviation bombs, as KAB-500S (prompting through satellite system GLONASS) and UPAB-1500 they only are tested.

Now as to possible Russian-Chinese war. Very good, and the main thing duly, and at the same time a difficult question... I consider, that if this war all will begin, only within the limits of the Third World war. My script: in 2008-2012 of the USA at support of Israel strike across Iran which answers with a nuclear attack on the American ships in Persian gulf and across Israel. The USA in the answer too use the nuclear weapon. Using general confusion, China attacks Taiwan and without special problems takes this island under the control. Russia borrows{occupies} a waiting attitude. Then global war of the USA with all Muslim world begins. In the Near East chaos, are at war India with Pakistan (besides with application of the nuclear weapon). And here there is a conflict of Russia to China. Oil and other minerals that it's a lot of in Siberia and South-East Asia are necessary to China. For certain, simultaneously with returning Taiwan China will rush to Vietnam. And there look also war with other countries of region (Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia) and Indonesia. And as at China a lot of gun meat (up to 500 million mobilization resource) it presumes to attack the basic forces and Russia.

Probably, the script will be another. But I'm assured of one - the world slides to self-destruction. Look, that happens around: everywhere wars, famine and poverty. And some thousand from 7 billion population of the Earth bathe in gold. Unless it's normal? I not the devout person, but I'm assured - for all payment will come. I apologize, that hasn't written anything concrete. Simply I'm assured of the version. Though I dont consider it unique correct.
Жыве Беларусь!

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
  • What's the next big thing?
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2007, 03:57:08 PM »
Webby. Hey what about the V3?
Oh how precise exactly are the SDBs? Been meaning to read up on them but since you bring it up... ;D

Sergei-
Those were only tested? Never battle-proven or actually used?

About the war. This is really off-topic. But i don't think the China attack Taiwan move is very realistic. For one, Israel is a pretty powerful deterrent to the other mid-east nations. If the Chinese delay moving down into SEA, Singapore would have time to mobilise its entire air force, a US carrier would arrive, and of course the US isn't distracted (not really) by some other wars because some other superpower in the area allied to the US is fighting for it. And, ASEAN would probably have come up with some defence agreement arrangement by then, so we'd be a lot stonger put together. There's this Chinese saying about many sticks being harder to break than one stick. That's in this case. And what about India? It's war! We HAVE to do something. So it'll be "oh hey we have a nuclear powerplant. Think we could drop it on China?"

Think nuclear arsenal. If someone throws something big at some civvies, the US lugs a massive ICBM back atcha. They'll be deterred! But then again, money would probably rob us all of our fun.

-JCLim

Offline Gripen

• General of Flight
  • WHATEVER YOUR PAST, THE FUTURE IS GRIPEN!
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2007, 06:24:24 AM »
Didn't the US scrap all their IBM's because of some deal they made with the USSR before it face planted the grounded and didnt get up again?

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2007, 12:51:34 PM »
Webby. Hey what about the V3?
Oh how precise exactly are the SDBs? Been meaning to read up on them but since you bring it up... ;D

What about it? It's being fitted to F-15C air defense fighters, not  to the F-15E, as the AN/APG-70 is pretty good, and combined with the other sensors for air-to-surface it appears there's no immediate need for a new radar.
Possibly the F-15SG will get the (V)3, the F-15K is fitted with AN/APG-63(v)1, and the F-15S have a downgraded APG-70.

The GBU-39 is GPS/INS guided and is reported to have a CEP of 5-8 meters, and blast radius of about 8. The bigger GBU-31 JDAM has a CEP of 10-13 meters, but of course a bigger blast radius. So it's as accurate as it needs to be, or otherwise you drop a few more, you'll be able to carry plenty! GBU-40 will have IR terminal seeker to lock onto heat sources to hit moving targets. So you can destroy an armoured convoy in a city, without destroying the neighbourhood.
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2007, 01:12:57 PM »
Didn't the US scrap all their IBM's because of some deal they made with the USSR before it face planted the grounded and didnt get up again?

As of 2006/2007, 800 warheads for 500 Minuteman-III missiles, 50 alert facilities, 3 active wings and one test squadron. USAF plans to operate it until 2040.

Those treaties only limited capability of the things, reduced inventory and phased out old ones, plus most have been abandoned now. New treaty SORT need to reduce it to 1700-2200 operational warheads. But:

The treaty has been criticized for various reasons:

There are no verification provisions to give confidence, to either the signatories or other parties, that the stated reductions have in fact taken place.
The arsenal reductions are not required to be permanent; warheads are not required to be destroyed and may therefore be placed in storage and later redeployed.
The arsenal reductions are required to be completed by December 31, 2012, which is also the day on which the treaty loses all force, unless extended by both parties.
Because there exists a clause in the treaty which provides that withdraw can occur upon the giving of three month's notice, and no benchmarks are required in the treaty, either side could feasibly perform no actions in furtherance of the treaty, and then simply withdraw in September of 2012.
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
  • What's the next big thing?
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2007, 09:04:54 AM »
The F-15SG is supposed to take on the V3. But their Strike Eagle deriatives...Matter of fact, they have the same name...

Oh, this may be a little off-topic, but Singapore just signed a contract with Boeing for another 12 Eagles. What a way to spend, huh? The first 11 haven't even been delivered. And there was an option for an additional 10, not 12... ;D

Their ICBMs, not IBMs. That's a computer.

I can barely understand the post, Grip... Yeah, they never scrapped all the ICBMs. That would be dumb. They become an un-superpower. I think we should buy some ICBMs... jkjkjk. The political unrest would be unlimited.
-JCLim

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA