MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: SU47??  (Read 32154 times)

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
  • We are not promised a tomorrow.
SU47??
« on: April 22, 2005, 02:36:15 PM »
Today was the first time i saw a pic of the SU47, never heard of it earlier btw.
Are those russians for real??
This is only my opinion, but it looked like it was taken directly from a manga cartoon. Kind of buttugly.  ;)
  • Interests: SAAB 37 Viggen
Patrik S.

Offline Goose

• Flight Leader
Re: SU47??
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2005, 04:45:11 PM »
Yes they are for real! They just like the USAF and Lufwaffe joint program (X-29) forward swept wing aircraft. The Russians just got it to prototype stage first.

Offline orko_8

• Pilot
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2005, 08:31:04 PM »
Hi, and congratulations for the new forum.

Su-47 "Berkut" (old designation was S-37, which is often confused with Su-37) is a prototype, never planned for serial production, as far as  I know. It is some sort of technology demonstrator.

Forward swept wing design comes with a number of challenges in the field of aerodynamics and construction technologies. Together with low RCS (Radar Cross Section) design techniques and technology, Su-47 is something like "ability-of-proof", in my point of view.

It is a good design by the way...

Regards

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2005, 12:44:24 PM »
Welcome to the forum,

As the S-37, the aircraft was a experimental prototype for the forward swept wing, FBW, and composites.

Designated as Su-47 since 2002, the aircraft is a development testbed and technology demonstrator for the next generation of Russian fighter (PAK-FA program). However the 5th generation design will not have a forward swept wing. 

The Su-47 designation is one originating from the marketing department, and does not mean that Russia's next generation fighter will be designated Su-47.

And indeed, we can not stress enough times that it is not the same as the Su-37.
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2005, 10:48:47 AM »
I guess that if  the aircraft in the future become manless, we will see those ugly forward swept wings on the fighters.  Then who wants to be a pilot?? Some 14 year old nerd with glasses thick as beerbottles.  :P

Patrik S.

Offline Zeke

• Pilot
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2005, 08:20:56 AM »
Careful Viggen...that's no way to talk about our beloved Webmaster!... ;D ;D ;D
Do not despise the snake for having no horns. for who is to say it will not become a Dragon?
}:)

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2005, 08:24:51 AM »
Actually Zeke, i described myself  when i was 14 years old..   ;)

Patrik S.

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2005, 02:20:52 PM »
 ;D ;D

Actually, I don't have glasses, but was turned down for fighter pilot, because I would sustain a higher risk of back injury when pulling extreme G-loads since my spinal cord isn't as straight anymore as it should be at my age. Nothing serious, I can and could do anything, but they don't want to take the risk. Unfortunately, you don't get a say in this, because I would take the risk to become a military aviator.  :P
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Berkut

• Pilot
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2005, 04:33:41 AM »
If those buttugly fighters would enter service f-22 will be in big trouble. Just check out it's characteristics (http://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/s37/)

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2005, 07:39:50 AM »
Yes it would be a very lethal weapon and when i think of it some more, i belive that i preffer these forward swept wings over manless fighters.  :-\

Manless fighters will probably fight it out in space, like in some god damn star wars episode. The end of sonicbooms and the rush you get from a low flying jet over your head.  :(

"Thats no moon...Its a spacestation"!
Patrik S.

Offline Air Marshal

• Fighter Ace
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2005, 04:44:11 PM »
THE INFORMATION ABOUT SU-47

The Sukhoi Su-47 Berkut (Russian: Су-47 "Беркут" - golden eagle), designated S-32 and/or S-37 during initial development, is an experimental supersonic jet fighter developed by the Sukhoi Corporation.
The distinguishing feature of the aircraft is its forward swept wing, similar to that of the Grumman X-29.
Originally known as the S-37, Sukhoi redesignated its advanced test aircraft as the Su-47 in 2002. The change reflected the company's decision to market the design as a production fighter rather than as an experimental prototype. Also commonly referred to as the Berkut (Golden Eagle), the Su-47 was originally built as Russia's principle testbed for composite materials and sophisticated fly-by-wire control systems. The aircraft makes use of forward-swept wings allowing superb maneuverability and operation at angles of attack up to 45° or more. The advantages of forward sweep have long been known as such wings offer lower wave drag, reduced bending moments, and delayed stall when compared to more traditional wing shapes. Unfortunately, forward sweep also induces twisting strong enough to rip the wings off an aircraft built of conventional materials. To solve this problem, the Su-47 makes use of composite materials carefully tailored to resist twisting while still allowing the wing to bend for improved aerodynamic behavior.
To reduce development costs, the S-37 borrowed the forward fuselage, vertical tails, and landing gear of the Su-27 family. Nonetheless, the aircraft includes reduced radar signature features (including radar absorbent materials), an internal weapons bay, and space set aside for an advanced radar. Though similar in overall concept to the American X-29 research aircraft of the 1980s, the Su-47 is about twice the size and far closer to an actual combat aircraft than the US design. Like the X-29 though, the S-37 was primarily a technology demonstrator, one intended to lay the foundation for the next Russian fighter. Such a fighter must not only be as advanced as the US F-22 and Eurofighter Typhoon, but must also compete for funding with the more conventional MiG 1.42. However, Sukhoi is now attempting to market the Su-47 to the Russian military and foreign customers as a production fighter in its own right. Initial reaction was not good, but the aircraft's performance has been so impressive that the Russian government has made funds available for further testing of the design.
Recent reports have suggested that the Su-47 will eventually emerge as Russia's "5th Generation" fighter, which is seen as a competitor to the American Joint Strike Fighter. However, Sukhoi has apparently decided to abandon the forward-swept wings of the S-37, and the future production model will return to a more conventional wing layout. If true, Sukhoi may have reached the same conclusion as NASA did following testing of the X-29--the benefits of forward-swept wings are just not worth the extra cost and complexity associated with their design and manufacture.

Primary Function: N/A
Contractor: Sukhoi
Crew: One
Unit Cost: N/A
Powerplant: two Aviadvigatel D-30F6 afterburning turbofans at 68,340 lb (303.8 kN) each (original) two Saturn/ Lyul'ka AL-37FU afterburning turbofans at 63,930 lb (284.4 kN) each w/ afterburner (planned)
Dimensions
Length: 72.83 ft (22.60 m)
Wingspan: 74.00 ft (16.70 m)
Height: 19.33 ft (5.90 m)
Weights
Empty: N/A
Maximum Takeoff: 74,955 lb (34,000 kg)
Performance
Speed: 1,555 mph (2,500 km/h)
Ceiling: 61,680 ft (18,800 m)
Range: 2,100 nm (3,880 km) -- typical
Armament 14 hard points
PAKISTAN AIR FORCE (www.paffalcons.com)

FOR THOSE WHO DARE THE FUTURE IN THE SKIES

Offline dreamer

• Pilot
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2005, 06:47:22 PM »
Has anybody played Ace Combat 5:The Unsung War? The SU-47 was one of the unlockable planes and (in my opinion) the best plane on that game HOWEVER that was just a game.

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA