MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Sukhoi T-50  (Read 23354 times)

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
  • What's the next big thing?
Re: Sukhoi T-50
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2011, 03:35:31 PM »
It's definitely a good-looking plane, but I liked the YF-23 better. Also, the -23 was supposedly stealthier than the -22, but a bit less maneuverable.
Which begs the question-- How important is maneuverability in a stealthy aircraft? Obviously, if you listen to Lockheed (Martin), maneuverability is not so important--neither is speed. Anyone for a "stealthy attack dirigible"? (Think of the payload!!) >:D

I had a very good LOL at that!  ;D If I'm not mistaken, the '22 was supposed to be a great deal more capable, until they decided to cut back on the budget due to the costs, so those folks who are constantly complaining about the '23 not going through are probably not going to be satisfied either way. Does anybody know what happened to that F-22B thing that was going around a while back?  :o
-JCLim

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2011, 06:00:05 PM »
Actually I just looked at a bigger picture of it and it's more unique than I thought lol.  :P

Yup, that's what I mean!

You gave a link to a website in Russian.

Ah well, I know enough to know that ФОТОГАЛЕРЕЯ means Photo Gallery. But honestly, top of the page, click the Union Jack for the English version.

My guess is we're more likely to see newer missile tech in response to newer anti-missile tech.  ;D

Hopefully. I haven't seen much yet. Although I believe the latest missiles are already not easily fooled by flares anymore, thanks to IIR (imaging infra-red) sensors. But I'm not so sure what has been done on the radar guided front.
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline shawn a

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2011, 07:07:55 AM »
As far as I know the FB-22 is dead.
The Air Force has chosen to put all it's remaining eggs in the F-35 basket.

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2011, 02:23:00 PM »

Hopefully. I haven't seen much yet. Although I believe the latest missiles are already not easily fooled by flares anymore, thanks to IIR (imaging infra-red) sensors. But I'm not so sure what has been done on the radar guided front.

It would be curious if it go to the state where nobody bothered to fire missiles anymore and just focused on jamming each other.  ;D

As far as I know the FB-22 is dead.
The Air Force has chosen to put all it's remaining eggs in the F-35 basket.

Looks more like throwing the eggs away rather than putting them in one basket, the way things are going. =/
-JCLim

Offline shawn a

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2011, 02:32:21 AM »
I really like the "elastic" hinge covering on the canards/lerx. Someday ailerons and flaps will have that treatment, and maybe whole wings will be covered with flexible, elastic covering that in combat aircraft could be RAM treated. Remember, you saw it here first!
Can't IIR be jammed with active laser jammers?

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2011, 03:51:59 AM »
Yeah, pretty cool.

Can't IIR be jammed with active laser jammers?

You mean countering infrared with a laser, right... I don't know, they've been kinda relying on IR band detection and the heat of the missile's plume to target the laser... how's that going to work on a missile like the ASRAAM.
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline shawn a

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2011, 06:32:58 AM »
Well, not to get off topic---- suppose the T-50 had ASSRAMs--What does the ASSRAM do that would not allow it to be tracked by a jammer? Does it's motor burn out quickly so as to reduce it's IR signature? And then relying on residual speed (kinetic energy) to coast to it's target? Sorry to be so uninformed.

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2011, 01:04:02 AM »
Yep, exactly. Clearly, it's not as easy as countering some RPG, Strela or Stinger.

Why do you turn it into ASSRAM by the way? It can also be aimed at the cockpit, doesn't have to be the ass of the aircraft. LOL
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2011, 11:26:21 AM »
Haha maybe they'll start homing in on the pilot and not the aircraft.  ;D
-JCLim

Offline lucciano85m

• Pilot
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2011, 10:31:47 PM »
Third Russian fifth-generation PAK FA Prototype Flies

The third prototype of the new Russian fifth-generation PAK FA fighter made its maiden flight from Komsomolsk-on-Amur on November 22.

http://www.xairforces.net/newsd.asp?newsid=667&newst=8

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA