MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: USA fighter dilemma  (Read 16388 times)

Offline God Bless USA

• Flight Leader
Re: USA fighter dilemma
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2008, 01:00:55 PM »
We should of took care of North Korea and Iran's nuclear project along time ago.  But that is a different subject.  I am looking at this from a stance that for the first time we have a fighter with STOVL technology.  Why not have a few in the inventory just in case, somewhere someone sneaks in below radar.  History has shown it has happened.  I think it would be a great investment.

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2008, 04:39:38 PM »
North Korean attack may come in many forms but most likely would be missile and artillery.  I think the F-35B could or might avoid being targeted if spread on on smaller bases or even moved between a small number of bases.  North Korea would have to have current targeting info to assigned missiles/rockets to hit, just makes it a little harder.  I think there are other perks as well just think of the cost and maintenance issues for running a large or normal size air base where in most cases there's more then one runway.   Some repair and maintenance shops would have to be maintained but I still think it's an asset overall.  I'm opened mined enough to think eight ten years from now Army pilots flying the B models from forward deployed Army Squadrons.  The Marines do it why not bring your own air support right?  The F-35B is a huge step past the Harrier in many ways and may grow into one of the best sellers down the road. 

Offline Gripen

• General of Flight
  • WHATEVER YOUR PAST, THE FUTURE IS GRIPEN!
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2008, 07:59:38 AM »
I am looking at this from a stance that for the first time we have a fighter with STOVL technology. 
Didnt your marines buy the Harrier jump jet and 'Americanize' it?

Offline God Bless USA

• Flight Leader
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2008, 01:22:33 AM »
Yes the USA bought the British Sea Harrier.  They bought it and improved it!  Just like nonpilot stated there is benefits from having a STOVL aircraft like the F-35B.  Now we have an aircraft that is a versatile asset.  Stealth, speed of a fighter, STOVL plus its was designed in the USA.  The United States Marines are planing on buying them.  Some countries will have access to the F-35B.  I am a firm believer that the countries that will have access to the F-35B should buy them for there Airforce, not just the Navy.  This is especially true for the USAF!  Why waste an asset, that the oppositional forces will know that we do not need a large airports to support it.

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA