MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Probe likely into Defence's Super Hornet purchase  (Read 6578 times)

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
Probe likely into Defence's Super Hornet purchase
« on: August 06, 2007, 05:42:07 PM »
My question after this "Probe" into defense's Super Hornet purchase can the purchase be canceled?   I thought the production started already but correct me if I'm wrong.  If it can be stopped I've changed my opinion on this selection.   Since the F-35 is coming down the pipeline anyway which is mainly a F-111 striker/attack replacement - light fighter, I think  Australia's air force can do better then the E/F Hornets as a gap filler.   I think for around the same money aircraft wise only they could would do better with the Typhoon and even Rafale because they match up better against their most likely enemy aircraft the Su-30/35 Flanker.   This is only fighter wise not all purpose aircraft and/or adding in training and maintenance cost.   Just in the fighter role I think either the Rafale or Typhoon are better choses both can perform attack as well or at least in the near future models will.   In the all purpose role or mid to short range attack I still rate the E/F Hornet better it's a very modern aircraft, modern cockpit and great weapons choices.   I'm assuming the Block-II Hornets most likely are better lead in aircraft for the F-35. 

Story I found
http://www.theage.com.au/news/investigations/probe-likely-into-defences-super-hornet-purchase/2007/08/05/1186252546263.html

Offline valkyrian

• Fighter Ace
  • Goodbye my friend Tigershark, R.I.P.
Re: Probe likely into Defence's Super Hornet purchase
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 11:47:53 PM »

I think that the super bug is underpowered, it weighs as much as an F-15 but with less power,  and it is very much a2g oriented, so untill the day it will aquire a proper engine (25000 lbs) it will be in my "unfavorite" shopping list.....

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 11:58:31 PM »
The problem is the heavy designed need for carrier landing that's the killer.   I always felt they should have really made a land model too but that would have conflicted with the F-15 then.   I thought for fixed Navy and Marine bases around the world they might have saved some money on the lighter models.   For some air force the F-15 was too costly and maybe a little less costly Hornet might have nailed down a few sales.   I think the few Hornet uses their are would have liked a lighter all ground model.   It the end it would have hurt F-15 sales their big sale item so as far I know never created. 

Offline valkyrian

• Fighter Ace
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 12:12:27 AM »
You are talking of the F-18L built 60% by Northrop and 40% by MDD (the F/A-18 was exactly the opposite). At least 1500 lbs lighter....it could be much better all around fighter...however, i think the Swiss Hornets are somehow lighter than the standard C/D's (clever those Swiss)....
I believe that the E/F has a great potential but the US doesn't need a much better aircraft, so this plane is "buried" by it's own country...having it been a european project, it could be built in 2 versions (like Rafale).............

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 03:16:40 AM »
It's the best option the RAAF can get, especially avionics and capability-wise, it also makes sense with the current Hornet fleet and going JSF in the future. It's perfect for the next 5-10 years, especially for international commitments. Going French as interim solution until the JSF doesn't make sense. The air-to-ground Typhoon is not ready yet. The Typhoon probably has too big a lead time as well. The F-15E is probably too expensive. The last option I can think of would be advanced block F-16s. Don't forget it is a backup solution too. If JSF fails, Australia will order more Super Hornets.

It can be cancelled, at very high penalty costs, but not as high if it would have been a commercial purchase deal. Production is still running for the US Navy, so that won't be that big a problem.

I don't think it will be cancelled, maybe downgraded to ex-US Navy Block I's with the Navy getting the Block IIs, but if cancelled I don't think we'll see a 'replacement' solution at all anymore.

(Those Swiss Hornets are not designated just F-18 for no reason, it doesn't have the full attack capability, I doubt how much of the self defense suite is still there and what radar it has. Anyway, that's probably why it is lighter, less wiring, less components. I wouldn't give them credit for degrading a multi-role platform, the best there was for years, into a single-role fighter. They might as well have bought F-16 or Mirage 2000C then.)
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Gripen

• General of Flight
  • WHATEVER YOUR PAST, THE FUTURE IS GRIPEN!
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 08:33:34 AM »
The whole reason we're getting the stupid F-35's is because we're too friendly with the US. If we were more friends with Britain or France or somewhere, we'd be getting different planes.

Shame Australia isnt friendly with Russia. I would love to see some Migs or Sukhois in Australia :(

Offline valkyrian

• Fighter Ace
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 10:24:40 AM »
I would also like to see some Flankers Downunder, but i guess this is an Utopia....Much to my surprise, the Typhoon isn't even a candidate....if the Aussies don't buy it (which they have very strong bonds with the British) who do they expect Greece to buy it?

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 01:20:11 AM »
Nah not really anymore, hehe, they're putting their money on the Saudis.
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline RecceJet

• Fighter Ace
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 02:12:06 AM »
The whole reason we're getting the stupid F-35's is because we're too friendly with the US. If we were more friends with Britain or France or somewhere, we'd be getting different planes.

Shame Australia isnt friendly with Russia. I would love to see some Migs or Sukhois in Australia :(

I'm actually getting quite eager to see what the JSF will prove to be. I think the F-35 is going to be a very good platform, I just wish it was accompanied with a squadron of F-22s.

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 04:19:47 AM »
Indeed, but with the RAAF used to the Super Hornet sophistication avionics-wise by then, it might not seen as modern with the basic (export?) fit. However the RAAF will probably be more than pleased with the performance of this one engined jet, not having operated the F-16. With other future JSF operators, it may be the other way around.

I just wish it was accompanied with a squadron of F-22s.

Imagine that being added in if you order the JSF, that would be an awesome marketing move by LM, too bad congress would never approve.

Order more than 50 F-35s today and get 18 F-22 Raptors for free!*

* valid until the USAF orders more F-22s.

Every country lining up for it  ;D
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA