Military Aviation > Military Aircraft

What Does the USAF Do Now?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Raptor:
Don't mean to go off topic, but i noticed the F-15SE mentioned. You can actually see the engine blades on that one. How stealthy is that to the F-22.  :-\

AVIATOR:
Why would it be off topic and why would that matter anyway. Getting anyone to join in discussion here at any time is a minor miracle.
I'm no expert and I'm still back in either the 1940s with military planes or today with civil aviation, but when they say that they could upgrade an F-15, doesn't it really mean that they would use the same moulds and replace the outer shell metal body panels with some sort of stealth fibre?

Raptor:
Basically something like that, but 'stealth' per se relies greatly on low RCS, which is generally achieved using RAM, deflective surfaces, or in the case of the Russians, the more effective plasma stealth. I would imagine that the engine blades would provide quite a massive RCS for an enemy's radar to work on...

Webmaster:
What's your point Kukuruza... seems your posts aren't making a lot of sense... ? confirmed spammer, deleted

@ Raptor et al: apparently one of the biggest RCS-reduction is achieved by carrying the weapons internally, or (semi-)recessed. As I said, stealthier, than the current F-15 that is. Your right about the engine blades, but that's from only part of the hemisphere. I don't know, but considering ground radar, it's a very small problem. But again, all those changes, reduce the Eagle's RCS, but that doesn't make it undetectable... and probably neither to the point where the RCS can be reduced to the point where most modern radars won't pick it up at all. But if it reduces the detectability by and thus effective range of some of the older systems still in use by many non-aligned countries, thus improve survability... there will be certainly parties interested, most notably Israel and Japan for starters. The USAF has the F-22/F-35, I don't see the need for it as a capability, but anything to improve survability is of course a good thing.   

shawn a:
We should just buy a lot of J-11Bs from china. I'm sure we could afford that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version