MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: What happen to MIG?  (Read 8751 times)

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
What happen to MIG?
« on: December 01, 2008, 03:00:04 AM »
Just went to the new Russia's new "United Aircraft Corporation's" web site and don't see MIG listed nor anything mentioned concerning MIG at all. I thought seven aviation companies merged including MIG does anybody know anything about this?

Military aircraft section
http://www.uacrussia.ru/en/models/military/

There press & news section
http://www.uacrussia.ru/en/press/news/

Companies listing page
http://www.uacrussia.ru/en/companies/

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
Re: What happen to MIG?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 05:26:32 AM »
Yeah, also noticed that. I think it's still a work in progress.

From RAC MiGs site:
100 % of the PJSC "RAC "MiG" shares, belonging to the Russian Federation, are planned to be transferred into the authorized capital of PJSC "United Aircraft Corporation".

RAC MiGs new director comes from IAPO, so that's a sign.

Speculation time... I am thinking, the actual goal of the UAC was twofold right: 1) parity on the export market, and 2) what is effectively a return to nationalised industry. RAC MiG was already completely owned by the state, and it's export already fell completely under Rosoboronexport control, with exception of the light aircraft, but at least it's not producing airliners that competed with other Russian companies that are owned wholly or partly by the state. I think the state never 'lost power' in RAC MiG, so bringing it under the UAC is not a priority. You know, that might also have been the reason why the other big ones have been flourishing while the MiG group hasn't, having to rely on state investments only. Anyway, Sokol which produces MiGs as well is under the umbrella already.

Not sure whether the state always had 100% of shares, or that RAC MiG went bankrupt so the state had to bail them out. Can't remember, just that the "RAC" concept was once praised for turning the Soviet bureaus/factories into proper companies.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 05:35:21 AM by Webmaster »
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 08:53:28 PM »
I think the Algerian SMT Fulcrum canceled sale hurt MIG badly and the Russian AF hasn't bought them yet that's the killer.  A friend help find this information out and he knows his Russian AF topics well thanks Feanor.  I go with what he says. 

MiG Will Hardly Reach UAC in Near Term
 The entry of Russian Aircraft Corporation MiG (RSK MiG) into United Aircraft Corporation (UAC) will be probably postponed for a year and a half, till MiG’s rehabilitation is completed. Nowadays, UAC and Industry and Trade Ministry are negotiating with Finance Ministry and the state-controlled banks about appropriating the 20-billion ruble subvention to RSK MiG, which debts amount to 40 billion ruble.
The fact that RSK MiG’s takeover by UAC could be shelved for a year and a half, i.e. till the reorganization of the enterprise is finally completed, was unveiled by a source in profile ministry. “The scenario is being discussed in the government. UAC CEO Alexei Fedorov and Industry and Trade Ministry are in talks with Finance Ministry, Vneshekonombank and Sberbank about appropriating to RSK MiG one-time subventions in the amount of roughly 20 billion ruble.”

People in UAC confirmed that the integration will be probably put off. “The financial situation at MiG is tense indeed. Although formally RSK isn’t a part of UAC yet, we have settled down to solving the problem, in particular, we are negotiating financial recovery of the enterprise with the government’s bodies. Various variants of MiG’s entry into UAC are being elaborated, both before and after its rehabilitation,” said Konstantin Lantratov from UAC.

Chief of Sukhoi Holding Mikhail Pogosyan has stepped in to help sort out the difficulties, according to Lantratov. Pogosyan is expected to head MiG once it becomes a portion of UAC and the sources say that, amid other things, he conditioned the future appointment to the state support rendered to MiG.
www.kommersant.com

Source
http://www.kommersant.com/p1077830/MiG_UAC/
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 02:02:38 AM by nonpilot »

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 03:36:43 AM »
Ah, thanks for posting the proper story.

I think it was bad already, but got really bad when they developed the MiG-AT but lost out to Yakovlev several years ago.
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline F-111 C/C

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 04:47:02 PM »
Any new news on Russian Aircraft Corporation MiG? I'm surprised they have lasted this long. Is UAC still interested? Is Sukhoi interested? What will happen to their assets if they "fold"?
Wars are won by carrying the 'heavy iron' downtown!

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 05:55:15 PM »
If MIG were to fold I assume UAC would try and honor any contracts there's too many Mig-29 fighters still flying just to drop them cold.  It's difficult to figure out the process and how it would work I guess will tell but there not doing well.  All could change very quickly if India or another big customer went with the Mig-29 K/M or Mig-35, and placed a large order. 

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 03:30:56 AM »
The latest news currently going around is confirming the things said in the article by Kommersant. Sukhoi's Mikhail Pogosyan is now general director. Apparently fixing the financial difficulties is going well as it is now said to be "soon" merged into the UAC, no details. But well, soon could still be anything from months to a few years...
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 06:01:34 PM »
It's done. According to RIAN (23 Oct 2009), RAC MiG has been acquired by the UAC, taking 100% of shares.

As you may know, RAC MiG had accumulated a debt of $1.25 billion. In part, it suffered tremendously over the cancelled $1.3 billion Algerian MiG-29SMT/UBT deal for 34 a/c. The Russian Air Force finally bought the 15 returned aircraft and a further 9, but that didn't get it out of trouble and a UAC take-over was in the works already, with both companies being owned by the state. Actually one might say that RAC MiG was failing alrdy and the Algerian deal was the last thing that could save them. Realistically, the deal wasn't big enough to solve the financial problems anyway.

Now about the Algerian thing, the aircraft were not accepted because of inferior equipment. Of course MiG was blamed and officials quickly spoke up to defend MiG/Rosoboronexport, saying that there were no quality issues and that it was about politics... Algeria just wanted to cancel the order and go for Western planes. An idea which soon proved false, when the country did order Su-30MKA, Yak-130s produced by IAPO.

Investigators found that indeed there were low-quality parts in the MiGs and the equipment supplier, Aviaremsnab, was to blame for supplying old 1982-1996 produced equipment, selling it as new using forged certificates and tags under the $14.3 million contract. Musail Ismailov, chief of the Aviaremsnab company, and his deputy Alexander Kutumov are currently in jail for the fraud already, but in September a further case was opened against the company and top management.

There's also some good news. MiG aircraft are now getting interest from the state again as part of the government's measures to create jobs in defence/aerospace sectors to help it survive the recession. Surely, as part of the state UAC umbrella corporation now, MiG can also benefit. Russia's Navy is set to buy at least 24 MiG-29K fighters to be deployed on the Admiral Kuznetsov aircraft carrier, replacing the Su-33.
Although the Su-33 is a much heavier jet with the performance envelop to match, it has outdated avionics, and thus limited compatibility with Russia's new line of both air-to-air missiles, but more importantly precision guided munitions. I am not convinced this will actually mean retirement of the Su-33, they are likely to join the Russian Navy's land based air regiments, as their service life won't expire until 2025. Furthermore, I am not sure if the MiG-29K can carry the massive Moskit, or Brahmos.
The estimated $1 billion deal will be for the new MiG-29K design, thus not be confused with the 1990s MiG-29K. It will be similar to India's MiG-29K, but probably with local IFF and radio/com sets. Clearly from a logistic/production point of view, a much more economical option than new Su-33s, or upgrading the existing fleet, which won't reduce operating costs.

Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA