MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: India in the Flanker repair and service business ?  (Read 6824 times)

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
India in the Flanker repair and service business ?
« on: June 24, 2007, 03:29:09 AM »
India in the Flanker repair and service business 
From the below article Indonesia might join Malaysia in allowing India to service the Flankers.   It seems India charges less to provide this service but I wonder if money isn’t the only thing of importance here.  Both Malaysia and Indonesia are oil heavy so I don’t think money is the sole reason completely.  I wonder if Russia out grown capabilities to service and support so many Flankers world wide?   Or is India just seeing a market they can jump into since they have licensing rights and can produce parts and other important equipment for the Flankers?   

A little insight
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/World/Rest_of_World/Indonesia_mulls_joint_arms_industry_with_India/articleshow/2141855.cms

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
Re: India in the Flanker repair and service business ?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 04:32:04 PM »
Thanks to the big fleet and license production, India has a logistics and maintenance center for the type. No matter with what you pay, getting parts and planes to and from India is a lot cheaper than to and from Irkutsk. I don't think oil has anything to do with it, Russia would want oil/petrol just as bad as India.

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if it was part of the contract with India from the start, and maybe used by Irkut/Rosoboronexport sales people as argument for Malaysia to buy it.

The age where you would have difficulty with your (new) Russian planes because of the long logistics and poor support channels are over. For example, Mil/Rostvertol are thinking about a logistics center in Latin America, should more countries order their helicopters in addition to Venezuela and Mexico. I am sure the same would happen for the Flankers, if Mexico (although plans are abandoned) and/or Brazil (although postponed and unlikely) would also buy Flankers.
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 05:39:54 PM »
It seem odd to me that because its big money for repairs and parts and most aircraft makers almost depend on it.   The French and the United States I guess are more full service dealers?   Mil/Rostvertol are money makers and would do well to built a factory or service center in South America between Brazil, Venezuela, Peru, Mexico, Nicaragua I think still has a few Russian birds, there must be more I'm leaving out.    You know I read in this other forum that after Mexico's navy rejected the used Su-27 Flankers  from Russia (Navy not Air Force) that a new rumor of buying Ex-US Navy A/B Hornets.   I never could find anything else on the Hornet purchase so assume it to be just a rumor.   All would be an overkill for shooting down drug runners don't you think?   Used Texas A/B Vipers would give better range the A/B Hornets anyway.  Single engine jets have much lower maintenance as well just seems a better fit.   Besides I couldn't imagine the US allowing Flankers to be sold to Mexico, helicopters are one thing but Flankers is another.   Both the US and Mexico governments could work harder together to get better fast movers flying south of the border.   

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 01:30:15 AM »
Don't worry, they'll still earn money on the parts. But don't forget the repairs and maintenance in Russia was done by repair plants of the air force, or state, some of these are now independent or JSC companies. To the aircraft builder or design bureau, it doesn't matter much I guess if it's done in Russia or abroad under proper license. However when HAL starts upgrading it on its own, and then tries to sell the upgrade, Sukhoi/Irkut might not support it (as MiG and Mil did with Eastern Europe programs).

Mexico didn't want Flankers to shoot down drug runners. It has a strategical requirement to protect its oil fields. Who knows how the balance of power will shift in the region in the future.

I've heard the same, but they really abandoned the plan due to budget constraints, ie the Navy doesnt get enough funding for such a thing. So I doubt Hornets would be bought in the near future. Yes, well, think about what I said about strategic and balance of power....maybe that's why they didn't look at the US? On the other hand, the US can't really deny Flankers to be sold to Mexico since they have no US parts, they only can offer a better solution...which may be the Hornets, possible in a barter deal, but I haven't seen anything firm on it yet. Just like with the Flankers, I'll say it again, I'll believe it when I see a contract or better yet, a delivery.

By the way, Gripen was the runner up in the competition. But something with more range was needed.
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline valkyrian

• Fighter Ace
  • Goodbye my friend Tigershark, R.I.P.
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 10:20:20 PM »
I'd love to see this, Flankers for Mexico. Maybe then, Texas National Air Guard will get....Raptors!!!!

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA