Military Aviation > Military Aircraft

Wing Loading

<< < (2/4) > >>

Webmaster:
Hehe, I knew you were gonna say that  ;) I just found the Typhoon one a nicer picture. I'm sure more of these should be floating around.

AVIATOR:
A remark I will make here is that it has always mystified me why that aircraft with that massive  2260 HP engine had only a three bladed prop. Spitfires had three blades then four blades, five blades, six blades and even nine blades not to mention the one with contra rotation, as the HP increased in different models.

Webmaster:
Well, I don't know, but first thing that comes to mind is that it seems to have longer, wider/bigger blades... which probably wasn't possible on the "lower" Spitfire design, so when engine power increased they had to add blades.

Trade-off game really, rotational speed probably also comes into play...maybe if they Typhoon would have acquired an even more powerful engine later on, you would have seen more blades...

shawn a:
Nine blades??
That's more than I carry when I go anywhere near the Hatfields turf!!
Any photos of that?

AVIATOR:
I searched for sometime to even get a static photo of the contra rotating six bladed prop model. All photos I have found are in flying mode.
I once read of a triple row contra set up making nine in total but I can't find any photos.
The conta set up was never successful as there was a lot of trouble with the actual propeller unit and it was very much kept in the background of Spitfire history.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version