MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Wing Loading  (Read 14759 times)

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
  • What's the next big thing?
Re: Wing Loading
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2010, 06:17:37 PM »
6-bladed contra-rotating propeller on the Spitfire XIX. =) From flickr, not mine, sadly.

-JCLim

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2010, 09:20:41 PM »
It's probably not flickr's either.  ;)

Nice to see you pop in again, Raptor.
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
  • What's the next big thing?
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2010, 06:12:13 AM »
Haha, probably ripped of some poor fellow's website.

Nice to see some familiar profiles.. :) Wonder what happened to Viggen and the lot though...
-JCLim

Offline vanaheim

• Recruit
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2011, 12:13:16 PM »
I'm pretty sure only an effectively limited batch of early Typhoons had a three-blade prop. Two service evaluation squadrons were made operational out of desperation because nothing else could catch FW hit and run raiders at low altitude in 42 but it wasn't cleared for mass production and general service yet, some changes were made and the decision arguably led to some non-combat losses. I thought some engine improvements were also made at some point, so early Typhoons might be 2000hp motors and a Tempest V in 1945 might be a 2200hp motor. I think the Tempest II started at about 2350hp and there was a postwar batch of overseas stationed Tempest V running their original engines at around 2400hp in Egypt I think (though Tempest II was the premier postwar version and got to 2600hp IIRC).

Anyway mostly four-bladed prop was used on that motor, particularly by the time it was significantly topping 2000hp. And it wasn't a small one.

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA