MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: 1st Production F-35 Lightning II delivered to Eglin AFB  (Read 8427 times)

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
  • What's the next big thing?
1st Production F-35 Lightning II delivered to Eglin AFB
« on: August 31, 2011, 03:02:26 PM »
Well, we've been waiting for this. Since it's two days old, it's probably old news to most of you. But still!  ;D

July 14, 2011 (by Mike Rein) - The first Lockheed Martin production model F-35 Lightning II to be assigned to the 33rd Fighter Wing arrived today at 13.18hrs CDT after its 90-minute ferry flight from Fort Worth, Texas.

Upon arrival, the jet officially became part of the Air Force inventory. It now belongs to the JSF training unit, the 33rd Fighter Wing.

Flying it in was Lt. Col. Eric Smith of the 58th Fighter Squadron, the first Air Force qualified F-35 pilot.

"It was a smooth ride in," said the colonel of the hour and 40 minute flight. "The jet behaved awesomely. I'm just so proud to bring it home to Eglin (Air Force Base)."

A crowd of 33rd FW people braved the 90 degree heat to watch the fifth-generation fighter touchdown and taxi in. Col. Andrew Toth, the 33rd FW commander, was the first to greet his pilot upon arrival.

"It's an exciting day here at the wing where our joint and integrated team has been preparing for this day since October 2009," Toth said. "I have no doubt the caliber of the Airmen, Sailors, Marines and contractors will provide safe and effective training operations at Eglin (AFB). Now, we look forward to the start of classes later this year."

Now that the aircraft is on station, F-35 maintainers will train and be certified here at home.

"It's pretty exciting," said Tech. Sgt. Brian West, the crew chief for the new aircraft. "We're thrilled to be able to train with one of our own."

As the world's first multi-role stealth fighter, the F-35 is known for its superior range, cutting-edge avionics and next-generation sensor fusion. Each model shares breakthroughs in combat performance, survivability and support, while each is specifically tailored for unique service needs.

Lt. Col. J.D. Wilbourne, the 58th FS commander, said he was thrilled to see his first aircraft arrive, one day before his change of command.

"This is the best week ever," said the commander, who flew chase in an F-16 Fighting Falcon. "This aircraft ensures air dominance for the next 30 years, and today marks the first step toward that goal."

http://f-16.net/news_article4380.html
http://f-16.net/news_article4381.html
http://f-16.net/news_article4412.html
-JCLim

Offline shawn a

• Hero of Flight
Re: 1st Production F-35 Lightning II delivered to Eglin AFB
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 08:43:54 PM »
As the world's first multi-role stealth fighter, the F-35 is known for its superior range, cutting-edge avionics and next-generation sensor fusion. Each model shares breakthroughs in combat performance, survivability and support, while each is specifically tailored for unique service needs.
So just what are the specs of this plane? All descriptions of the F-35's performance specifications that I've seen were as obfuscatory as statements about it's cost!

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 09:18:31 AM »
I... Have no idea. =( This came off F-16.net but if I find anything I'll let you know!
-JCLim

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 12:59:01 AM »
So just what are the specs of this plane? All descriptions of the F-35's performance specifications that I've seen were as obfuscatory as statements about it's cost!

Indeed, and it must have changed a lot from early specs. I am hoping this F-35 insert in the latest AFM sheds some light, I will read it soon. Shawn, you also got it right?

I am periodically checking news, as I don't have enough time to reproduce news like the majors do, I am adding headline/summary/link of related stories (which I think say at least something) by the various sources per aircraft. For the F-35, check:  http://www.milavia.net/aircraft/f-35/f-35_news.htm
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline HaveBlue

• Pilot
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 04:29:57 AM »
I'm glad its at Eglin! I live in Daytona Beach, FL and for my job I cover the whole state, though rarely up in the panhandle. Over the years I've got to see some pretty cool stuff.. V-22 Ospreys flying around back in the 90's, F-117s in formations, 3 F-15's chasing a cruise missile (wicked!) and an A-3 Skywarrior doing patterns for over an hour... don't know if it was drone or manned but it was interesting, only time I ever saw one fly.

Was just up there in June, a friend of mine and I hit the USAF Armament Museum there and then went over to Pensacolas USN Aviation Museum, always a good time at both.

Anyways hopefully I'll get a chance to see an F-35 tearing around up there sometime.

Offline shawn a

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 07:48:54 AM »
My latest AFM is the August issue. I renewed my subscription, so it should be "in the mail".
I question the "superior range" part of the statement, along with any "performance" claims.
I did, however get my issue of Combat Aircraft today, and in it, a commentary said that Panetta (our new SecDef) may consider canceling the F-35!
(Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder has as one of it's main symptoms--INDECISION) Seems like our government has a "problem".
The F-35B is in jeopardy also. But if we're going to utilize smaller carriers in the future, the only "fast" jet that could fly off that type of ship would be the F-35B. But we haven't really decided that putting all our naval strike "eggs" on supercarriers is a bad idea, so that basket of eggs remains a top priority target worthy of any and all effort to destroy it.
Rumor is, that starting next year, Nellis will have a contingent of F-35s to play with.

Offline shawn a

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 06:27:12 AM »
...BUT.. according to the issue of AW&ST that I just received (a week late), The JSF is indeed on shaky ground.
Among other things, a U.K. report describes the F-35B's "bring back" capability for a vertical landing as "marginal". No matter, the UK has decided on the C model (If we even decide to build it!) Also stated was a need to redesign the lift fan door (I assume it's the intake door, which looked much more common-sense on the X-35B than the new one which looked to me as an idiotic and unnecessary redesign of the original). The powerful exhaust of the -35B is also of concern--no "unprepared surface" capability there! This article states that even unprepared concrete offers a 50% chance of damage on the first landing! So our Marines will have to carry around some kind of matting for F-35B landing areas. Even the decks of ships are said to have potential problems with the thermal characteristics of the -35B's exhaust (buckling, fatigue, and failure)

And the first "production" model has been delivered???

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 06:08:03 PM »
Being optimistic, people also said crappy things about the F-22 when it first entered production. But then again, it's not that bad a waste of money is it. ;)

Being realistic, it's probably another complete waste of defence spending. Urgh.
-JCLim

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA