MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: 'Father' of F-16 Dies at Age 89  (Read 3375 times)

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
'Father' of F-16 Dies at Age 89
« on: February 11, 2009, 05:07:43 AM »
'Father' of F-16 Dies at Age 89

Staff report
Published: 10 Feb 15:28 EST (20:28 GMT)

The man known as the father of the F-16 and a founding member of the "fighter mafia" is dead.

Aircraft designer Harry J. Hillaker died Feb. 8 at his home in Fort Worth, Texas. He was 89.
Related Topics

Hillaker spent 44 years with U.S. contractor General Dynamics, where he was a point man for designing the F-16. General Dynamics and Lockheed Martin have delivered more than 4,400 F-16s to air forces around the world.

In a 1991 interview with Code One Magazine, Hillaker recalled how believers in a lightweight fighter became known as the fighter mafia.

"That was the title given to the small group of people responsible for the conceptual design of the lightweight fighter, what became the F-16," Hillaker said. "The group had three core members: John Boyd, Pierre Sprey and me. We were given the 'mafia' title by people in the Air Force back in the mid-'60s. We were viewed as an underground group that was challenging the establishment. We were a threat of sorts."

At the time, the U.S. Air Force was focused on fielding the F-15 Eagle. Development efforts for what became the F-16 were low key.

Hillaker wanted a plane that achieved speed and range by being small and more efficient than the much larger F15.

"If we wanted to fly faster, we made the drag lower by reducing size and adjusting the configuration itself. If we wanted greater range, we made the plane more efficient, more compact," Hillaker said.

Hillaker was born in Flint, Mich., and attended the University of Michigan. In 1941, he went to work with Consolidated Aircraft in San Diego, Calif., and a year later was assigned to the firm's Fort Worth plant.

Consolidated became General Dynamics, where Hillaker had a hand in several major projects, from the B-36 to the F-16. He retired in 1985, but continued to work with the U.S. Air Force and aviation groups.

Source
http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?i=3941936&c=AIR&s=TOP

Offline F-111 C/C

• Hero of Flight
Re: 'Father' of F-16 Dies at Age 89
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 05:20:30 AM »
He was also instrumental in the development and production of the F-111.
Wars are won by carrying the 'heavy iron' downtown!

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
Re: 'Father' of F-16 Dies at Age 89
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 03:05:50 PM »
I didn't know that he was involved on the F-111 as well.   I think he started I think on the B-36 and I just saw a picture on this other site of a B-29 and B-36, the B-36 is huge.

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA