MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Navy helicopter pilot celebrates 6,000 flying hours  (Read 3237 times)

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
Navy helicopter pilot celebrates 6,000 flying hours
« on: January 24, 2009, 05:03:45 PM »
Navy helicopter pilot celebrates 6,000 flying hours
A People In Defence news article

22 Jan 09

A helicopter pilot from the Royal Navy's Scottish search and rescue unit has reached the impressive milestone of having undertaken more than 6,000 flying hours, becoming the unit's most experienced pilot.

Lieutenant Commander Andrew 'Tank' Murray has served with the Royal Navy for 23 years, having joined up in September 1986.

His time with the Royal Navy as part of the Fleet Air Arm has seen him deploy to many areas of conflict around the world and he has trained hundreds of pilots flying in helicopters ranging from Gazelles to Sea Kings.

His most recent role has been with the Royal Navy's Search and Rescue Unit at HMS Gannet in Prestwick, Scotland, the home to around 40 serving members of the Fleet Air Arm and three Sea King Mark 5 helicopters.

Lt Cdr Murray celebrated notching up his 6,000 flying hours with his colleagues, and HMS Gannet's Commanding Officer, Lieutenant Commander Bryan Nicholas, said:

"This really is quite unusual and a great achievement. Tank brings enormous enthusiasm and a great breadth of experience to his flying, and he is a key member of our small team here. He has been the unit's training officer in the past and is able to pass on valuable know-how to many of the young pilots, observers and aircrew who are currently stationed here.

"We're delighted to have been able to share this moment with him and a celebratory cake, along with a bit of a get-together, definitely seemed the order of the day for this fantastic milestone in his career."

Lt Cdr Andrew 'Tank' Murray (center right) being greeted by HMS Gannet's Commanding Officer, Lt Cdr Bryan Nicholas (center left)

Lieutenant Commander Andrew 'Tank' Murray (center right) being greeted by HMS Gannet's Commanding Officer, Lieutenant Commander Bryan Nicholas (centre left), as he (Tank) returned to base having just notched up his 6,000th flying hour
[Picture: Royal Navy]

Captain Graeme Mackay, Commanding Officer of Royal Naval Air Station Culdrose, echoed these sentiments, saying:

"Many congratulations on passing 6,000 hours. This is a significant rotary wing achievement and a reflection of Lieutenant Commander Murray's excellent personal commitment and selfless contribution to the search and rescue force."

Originally from Farnborough in Hampshire, but now living at Helston in Cornwall, Lt Cdr Murray said:

"It was a great surprise and I was really honored everyone had taken the trouble to organize the cake and a bit of a do. I have to say, though, that I love my job and I have had some great fun over the years notching up that 6,000 hours. Obviously there have been some tough, challenging flights, but being able to rescue people or make a difference in areas of conflict is very satisfying.

"I wouldn't change it for the world and look forward to getting yet more hours under my belt."

Full story and Source
http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/PeopleInDefence/NavyHelicopterPilotCelebrates6000FlyingHours.htm

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA