MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Russia test flies '4++ generation' Su-35 strike fighter  (Read 4201 times)

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
Russia test flies '4++ generation' Su-35 strike fighter
« on: March 08, 2008, 04:43:06 PM »
Russia test flies '4++ generation' Su-35 strike fighter
06/03/2008 21:51 MOSCOW, March 6 (RIA Novosti) - The Sukhoi aircraft maker has conducted another test flight of its new state-of-the-art Su-35 Flanker multirole air superiority/strike fighter, the company said on Thursday.

A company spokesman said the aircraft was flown for over two hours, primarily to test the operation of its engines and control system, adding that both had performed admirably.

The manufacturer said last month that the new aircraft, billed as "4++ generation using fifth-generation technology," would enter service with the Russian Air Force in two to three years.

The Su-35, powered by two AL-37F engines, combines high maneuverability and the capability to effectively engage air targets using both guided and unguided missiles and weapon systems.

The Su-35 prototype made its maiden flight on February 18, and two more aircraft are being prepared for similar tests at an aircraft manufacturing plant in Russia's Far East.

Sukhoi, which is part of Russia's United Aircraft Corporation, is planning to export over 40 combat aircraft in 2008.

In 2007, Sukhoi exported about 50 Su-30MK2, Su-30MKM and Su-30MKI aircraft, including to Algeria, India, Malaysia, Indonesia and Venezuela.

The company also announced that its 2007 sales had grossed over 50 billion rubles ($2 billion).

Link
http://en.rian.ru/russia/20080306/100859557.html

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
Re: Russia test flies '4++ generation' Su-35 strike fighter
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 02:56:11 PM »
The manufacturer said last month that the new aircraft, billed as "4++ generation using fifth-generation technology," would enter service with the Russian Air Force in two to three years.

State tests maybe, I don't think the Russian Air Force has real plans to buy this.
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 07:06:59 PM »
I agree I still think most of the Su-35 new systems + radar and engine, can be worked into the Su-27M1 or Su-30.  Unless a big customer like India or China order a few squadrons which isn't likely part of this program will end up as advance upgrades pre-built Flankers.  Once China produces an engine that really out performs the Russian AL-31 series or better I think China will go away the heavy Flanker design.  India's government already said there not looking to go over the 230 mark in Flankers, so  no buyers there either for the Su-35.  On the flip side look at the last three or four Flankers customers maybe a buy back upgrade program could be worked out?  If Russia could get a 80/100 aircraft order out of this series then it's possible.   I just can't see the RMAF trading in there brand new Su-30 MKM Flankers in for a slightly better model?   

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 11:52:25 PM »
It's a single-seater fighter, it's not intended as a Su-30MKx replacement. It fills the gap between the MiG-35 and Su-30MK series to better compete on the export market. Biggest potential customer is Venezuela, but it can also compete in Brazil's relaunched F-X competition. Then there's  Syria, Algeria, Iran who might just need such an aircraft in 10 years. More potential customers might be popping up in five to ten years depending on the security situation. I don't think China or India are at aim here.
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Sergei

• Pilot
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 08:35:19 PM »
Into structure VVS of Russian Federation within 2010-2011 will enter, under the informal information, 24 fighters Su-35. They will be a part of an aviation regiment of a special purpose which covers Moscow. Besides, 8-10 Su-35 and Su-35UB the flight group "Russkie Vityazi" will receive.
Жыве Беларусь!

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA