MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Japan Launched F-X Program  (Read 9875 times)

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
Japan Launched F-X Program
« on: April 16, 2011, 06:28:49 PM »
Japan launched its F-X fighter competition. The F-X competition is aimed at providing a replacement for Japan's F-4 Phantom II fleet, which is being retired. It has been in the works for a long time, now Request-for-Proposals have been sent to Boeing (Super Hornet), Lockheed (F-35 JSF), and reportedly the UK (Eurofighter Typhoon), not sure MOD or BAE.

Anyway, meanwhile development of the AD-X stealth air defense fighter is continue to get funding, as F-22 is not available. That will perhaps eventually replace the F-15Js/F-2s. F-X is for the Phantoms foremost, and they say the 18 Tsunami damaged/lost F-2Bs. But I don't see how a single-seat F-35 arriving in 10 years (?) would do anything to fill that trainer gap for the F-2, so that would mean the Super Hornet or Typhoon stands a better chance. However if they want to ditch the F-2 anyway... The Super Hornet could "off-the-shelf" do much better in the ASh role, it's AGM-84 ready. On the other hand though, a nation developing its own stealth, a stealthy F-35 to complement would probably be favoured. Despite the Typhoons availability [RAF still seeking to sell T1/T2 to pay for its T3 commitment], I don't think it will stand a chance politically, not capability wise either I'm afraid, although Japan has a self-defence force and Typhoon can be regarded as more defensive rather than offensive plane, which the F-35 and Super Hornet surely are.

Any thoughts?
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline SukhoiLover

• Fighter Ace
Re: Japan Launched F-X Program
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 09:08:27 PM »
Were´s Rafale?
http://sukhoitribute.blogspot.com/

English version: http://sukhoitributeenglish.blogspot.com/

Pavel be proud of your legacy!!!!

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 11:35:12 PM »
Hmm, good question,

Not invited I think...

Maybe not considered at all. Ouch, this may sound a bit too harsh, but I can imagine Japanese products (cars) have a hard time getting into France or with high tariffs (for almost 40 years now??), hence no good trade relationship? So no interest in doing business with France...?
Even if that's too simplistic... there isn't much of a (political nor business) foundation for such a big deal anyway, or am I wrong?

Maybe has been dismissed by the JASDF prior to the RfP... no experience with French warplanes/weapons, no industry cooperation, afraid of supply chain problems, or fear over compatability issues...? Or plain and simple "does not have AMRAAM / AGM-84"? Court cases have shown that if you don't want it, don't ask for a bid or you'll be sued on some ground or another. I guess they don't want it.

It's a miracle the Typhoon is requested if you ask me, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if they've even not looked at the Rafale.  :-X

Anyone knows more?
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline SukhoiLover

• Fighter Ace
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 04:02:53 PM »
Gripen is also not there, humm.

But yeah, i guess your right Webby, maybe it has something to do with the fact that Japan has been using US products for quite a few years now.

Honestly, i think the F-35 is the winner already even before it started.
http://sukhoitribute.blogspot.com/

English version: http://sukhoitributeenglish.blogspot.com/

Pavel be proud of your legacy!!!!

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 04:16:20 PM »
Gripen partly same story, plus other than the Rbs 15 which would be nice, I don't think it fits their requirements [which I imagine are beyond the Gripen's, as otherwise Lockheed would have been asked for advanced block F-16 as well], so it would lead them to Gripen NG. But that's far from getting build, even compared to the F-35 there's much uncertainty.

Honestly, i think the F-35 is the winner already even before it started.

Japan wanted the F-22, so F-35 is second best, I think you are right.

Unless there's a sense of urgency, and LM quotes them a delivery schedule which leads them to have too long of a gap. Not unlikely if you ask me, although with partners delaying it forever there may be room on the line earlier, but then they'll have to consider teething problems. For these reasons we can't say the race is run. But I don't know when the F-X is supposed to come online. If it's sooner rather than later, the Super Hornet is a good option, and they've got the USN nearby to showcase it. Could get F-35 later. ;)
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline lucciano85m

• Pilot
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 03:17:28 PM »
Japan stealth jet prototype set to fly in 2014

Japan is looking to join the United States, China and Russia with a stealth fighter that senior Japanese air force officials say can be ready for a prototype test flight in just three years, significantly upping the ante in the intensifying battle for air superiority in the Pacific.

The prototype will likely be able to fly in 2014, Lt. Gen. Hideyuki Yoshioka, director of air systems development at Japan's Ministry of Defense, said in an interview with The Associated Press.

read more: http://www.xairforces.net/newsd.asp?newsid=393&newst=8

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
  • What's the next big thing?
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 06:13:49 PM »
Yeah I was actually wondering about that "stealth jet prototype." =/

Based on the type of relationship Japan has with the US, they'll either somehow offer enough money to get the F-22, or get the F-35 I think. (sorry nothing new here, i'm of the same opinion.)
-JCLim

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA