MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: New Fighter Jet: Controversial Future of the U.S. Fleet  (Read 9514 times)

Offline RecceJet

• Fighter Ace
Re: New Fighter Jet: Controversial Future of the U.S. Fleet
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2009, 02:00:58 PM »
Here's some more "light reading" on the subject.

Cheers, F-111!

Great to read some information that casts a less damning light on the JSF project. It's easy to pounce on the issue so early; makes for great stories. I think the JSF will be a great platform and with the full capability for net-centric warfare I'm sure it will prove to be more than a match for anything currently out there.

I just don't think it's the perfect replacement for the F-111s in the RAAF Orbat with it's shorter range and smaller payload, but newer technology will offset a lot of this.

Offline Ramon

• Scorpion Aviation Photography
  • Global Moderator
  • Fighter Ace
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2009, 10:23:18 AM »
Hello all,

I can understand your concern (F-111 C/C), why there is already so
much critique, while the aircraft has not really flown so far. However
on the other hand, how those the USAF, or Lockheed- Martin already
know so much about the aircraft, while you can use the same reason
(the aircraft has not flown so far, and can not be compared.)

And please do not put your hopes on those studies of the Norwegian,
and especially the Dutch. While I live in the Netherlands, do we belong
in my humble opinion, to these so could "banana republics". When it comes
to a lot of diplomatic stuff, does the USA say to the Netherlands, jump....
and the only answer Holland has, is how high.....  :-[

Too bad for great aircraft like the Gripen, Rafale, Eurofighter or Advanced
F-16's. Those have already proven what they can, compared to the F-35.

Regards, Ramon

• Interests: A-10, F-14, F-105, B-58 and warbirds

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2009, 10:17:07 PM »
Hello Ramon
Ramon give the F-35 a chance to be brought along a little in two or so years you'll see major news releases giving more information on it
You seem to be writing it off before it's even produced did you dislike the Gripen at this stage? The Rafale, Eurofighter, Gripen, are hardly proven platforms all are still being upgraded although the Rafale has been used in combat in the AG role.  In the same way the three aircraft above surpass in certain ways all the American teen series a feat to be proud of the F-35 will surpass them.  The natural order basically newer tech and designs tend to be better then older ones.  It does not mean all three are useless and not worthy of future customers. (smile face)

Personally I would like to see India get the Gripen NA to fill the 126 aircraft bid it would be a perfect fit for them.  Gripens and advance Flankers what a combo.   

Offline Ramon

• Scorpion Aviation Photography
  • Global Moderator
  • Fighter Ace
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2009, 12:59:11 AM »
Hello Ramon
Ramon give the F-35 a chance to be brought along a little in two or so years you'll see major news releases giving more information on it
You seem to be writing it off before it's even produced did you dislike the Gripen at this stage? The Rafale, Eurofighter, Gripen, are hardly proven platforms all are still being upgraded although the Rafale has been used in combat in the AG role.  In the same way the three aircraft above surpass in certain ways all the American teen series a feat to be proud of the F-35 will surpass them.  The natural order basically newer tech and designs tend to be better then older ones.  It does not mean all three are useless and not worthy of future customers. (smile face)

Personally I would like to see India get the Gripen NA to fill the 126 aircraft bid it would be a perfect fit for them.  Gripens and advance Flankers what a combo.   

Hello Tigershark,

I can partly follow your story. I'm more than interested with giving the F-35 some
more time and a chance. However is it already behind schedule, which brings me to
your second point "The natural order basically newer tech and designs tend to be
better then older ones." The F-35 is already that far behind schedule, that the
technology used, will be outdated for a part when delivered to the "banana republics".

I'm more than willing to give the F-35 a chance, however is it already out-dated, put
in one basic format to make everyone happy. And most importantly for me, pure a
personal opinion, is the F-35 very, very, very ugly. Hope that the Dutch government
will make a "wise" decision with choosing a combination of Gripens, Rafale and F-16
Block 52+ update. And now I'm again awake...... ;)

Regards, Ramon
  • Interests: A-10, F-14, F-105, B-58 and warbirds

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2009, 02:21:27 AM »
Hi Ramon
I don't agree that it's completely outdated yet hence it's not even out yet but I think I know what you mean or trying to say.  But in the same frame of thinking since the F-35 is 5th generation doesn't that make the other choices poor choices because they have to be outdated since there 4th and 4th++ generation.  So wouldn't buying them be buying old tech? 

Just my opinion I think the Dutch and Norway have other options then waiting on the F-35 for a few reasons.  First and main reasons is Russia and the "old Cold War" thinking.  Russia is in no way close to field there so called 5th generation platform and still can't get the Su-35 out the door yet never mind field in numbers and so forth.  The Gripen N/A, Rafale, and Typhoon once completed are more then a match at least on the tech side plus add in better training & maintenance to handle any Russia threat, short of a massive cruise missiles attack.  Just look at how Russia fought in the Georgian conflict in late 2008, there not the threat they were in 1973.   Any of those 3 fighters or even upgraded Block-52/60 Vipers would serve your needs for 10 to 15 years.  I base that estimate on Russia's rate of production which is very low but on paper they increased their spending.  Let see what's Russia aircraft production looks five to seven years from now to get a better handle on it.  But lets face Russia will sell off any of their planned future Su-35's in a heartbeat for a big export order.   

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA