MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Raptors Grounded!  (Read 12925 times)

Offline F-111 C/C

• Hero of Flight
Re: Raptors Grounded!
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011, 05:35:02 PM »
Airshows are the only thing the F-22 has been used for anyway! (insert sarcasm icon here). :laugh:
Wars are won by carrying the 'heavy iron' downtown!

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 02:20:52 PM »
Well, that's a good thing (insert hippy smiley here).
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2011, 03:03:20 PM »
Can't afford 'em, It'd be like buying a Porsche SUV when a simple Humvee would do. ;)
If Meteors will be used on Euro-35s, why wouldn't the software simply be THERE on ALL -35s? :-[ I assume they will fit in the weapons bays. Or am I assuming too much? The Israelis will not want Sidewinders instead of Pythons, will they?

Well, if I understand correctly, when the US says no, there will be no Meteors on it until much much later. It has to do with the "classified" software, with buyers not being allowed to modify it. The reasons are often quoted as protection of sensitive tech, or even protectionism of industry, but I think largely it's about the support contracts (liability, responsibility, blabla). 

UK analysts have expressed concerns about this, basically only JSF industry can do upgrades and only with LM, I guess that means US approval. MBDA proposed a weapon layout with four missiles, the UK could push it in as Level 2 partner, but as you say, it's all about the money and I'm not sure they will. If the UK doesn't demand it, then I don't see how it will.

Israel has also expressed its concerns about the conditions. Israel has a "tradition" of ripping out half the systems and putting their own industries' tech in. This is not allowed on the JSF, or at least they don't get any cooperation from the OEM. Imho it's why they have only committed to ordering 19 aircraft so far.

I don't see how adding the Python would be a problem though, as it largely relies on its own IIR, the rest is just Sidewinder X-like, they may need to make some changes to the Python though. The active Derby though, that may be tricky if you can't modify the software. I don't know how similar it is to the AMRAAM, may be compatible.

It's more about the indigenous ECM/EW, Satcom/Datalinking, and sensors, and all that stuff which makes Israeli jets different, than just the missiles.

Could definately use some information on these things. But as with most things JSF, information is lacking. But as I understood it, there's basically no garantee that you will be able to make your own changes to any software and thus most hardware. And as it has been brought up so often, I suspect that means it is more the case with the JSF than any previous aircraft.

Oops--we're talking about Raptors here, right?

RIGHT, sorry, we could continue the JSF weapon discussions in a new topic.

About the F-22,

Where are we now? It's been some weeks, any news on a cause, solution, schedule?   
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline shawn a

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2011, 06:41:35 AM »
Raptors still "grounded" to the point of no new deliveries to the Air Force.
(A serendipitous opportunity to delay the production line shutdown?)
Restart the line?
More than 187 aircraft?
Take a new look at the F-22B?
F-22C?=Carrier capable?
Oh-sorry-I've been dreaming!

Offline HaveBlue

• Pilot
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2011, 12:56:12 PM »
They will figure out what is wrong with the OBOGS soon enough, and then the line should be restarted with whatever fixes are needed.

I always did like the idea of the F-22B. However I feel very certain that you will never, ever see an F-22 carrier capable for a lot of reasons.

As for the F-35 I hope it doesn't get axed, it is a superb airframe and lots of successful planes had teething problems but turned out to be great assets. The F-35 will do so likewise.

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2011, 03:27:12 AM »
Indeed, although I would like to think otherwise, the F-35 will be turned into the new F-16. Nowadays a lot of teething problems get resolved on the drawing board and during testing, then the manufacturing process has to be adjusted. That's expensive, and different than crashing a couple in service a few years later and make changes only with the new block then. Dropping it now would just be plain stupid. Start over and expect it to be cheaper ánd better... not gonna happen.  The price tag issue just means there will be fewer, just like what happened to the F-22.

AIM-120D for F-22 in 2016/2017? Funny how the best fighter gets the best missile last...  ::)

Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2011, 03:41:39 AM »
Uhhh, I was thinking about the previous generation, not the F-22 when I said that about crashing. Wasn't trying to say that they didn't use computers in the "old days of F-22 development".  ;)

F-22 has/had a lot of flaws which one could say are teething issues... but I didn't regard them as teething issues. This one however clearly is. Unexpected one I bet, so no hard words on the F-22 now.

FB-22 would be ridiculous expensive too. They would probably have decided to make it optionally unmanned too by now if it was put into development then  :P Or already have been dropped.

Carrier... I don't see that happening either.

Oh-sorry-I've been dreaming!

Hehe, funny, yeah, thing is I don't dream about ugly stealth planes.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 04:03:22 AM by Webmaster »
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA