MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: 'French jets deal soon'  (Read 3461 times)

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
'French jets deal soon'
« on: May 28, 2009, 04:34:17 PM »
'French jets deal soon'
By

Nissar Hoath  on Wednesday, May 27, 2009

A deal for the sale of French fighter jets to the UAE is likely to be finalised soon, a source close to the office of French President Nicolas Sarkozy revealed yesterday.

The source, speaking to Emirates Business on a condition of anonymity, said there had been encouraging progress over the sale of the twin-engine Rafael fighters.

The initial deal involves between 60 and 100 jets. The new aircraft will replace the 60 French Mirage planes currently used by the UAE Air Force.

"The deal is on track as there has been some progress and we could hear the good news very soon," he added.

"I cannot say when exactly the deal will be signed but it is likely to be very soon. The contract will be worth up to $18 billion (Dh66.2bn)."

Another official accompanying the French delegation said the deal could be signed during next month's Paris Air Show. As part of the arrangement France would take back the Mirage fighters.

France yesterday renewed its 1995 defence deal with the UAE. The two sides signed a new treaty at the Emirates Palace hotel in the presence of President Sarkozy and General Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and Deputy Supreme Commander of the UAE Armed Forces, and defence officials from the two countries.

Source
http://www.business24-7.ae/Articles/2009/5/Pages/26052009/05272009_ad37c8381c654f67a2d5ff5911c7a556.aspx

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
Re: 'French jets deal soon'
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 09:12:14 PM »
Hmm, I thought they would have enough on strength with all Desert Falcons delivered, if not get more. I knew they were trying to sell off the Mirages, but didn't know they were buying. Of course of all countries, they can afford it.
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
Re: 'French jets deal soon'
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 09:35:57 PM »
Those sold off Mirages if sold could make a front line air force for many countries.  A mod in a different forum told me that UAE only produces 2 or 3 pilots a years and that they have a real personnel shortest in many areas. 

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA