MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Gripen NG tender for Brazil  (Read 3910 times)

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
Gripen NG tender for Brazil
« on: February 04, 2009, 05:24:01 AM »
Gripen NG tender for Brazil
Today Saab handed over a tender for 36 Gripen Next Generation to the Brazilian Air Force Air Command. The tender is an answer to the formal Request for Proposal that was issued in the autumn 2008.

2/2/2009 | Gripen NG is the next generation Gripen, an enhanced version of the well established net centric warfare multirole fighter which has proven low acquisition, operation and support costs. The Gripen NG programme covers development of avionics and all major sensors including data communication, self-protection systems, weapons integration, as well as airframe and propulsion enhancements. The aircraft will have increased thrust, increased payload, and extended range.

“The Gripen NG offer is fully compliant and will be a complete solution for Brazil,” says Gripen Campaign Director for Brazil, Bengt Janér.
Generate transfer of key technology

Not only will Gripen NG provide an unbeatable industrial co-operation package, with lasting consequences for the national defence industry, such as the direct involvement in the development, production and maintenance of the platform but it will also generate transfer of key technology including access to Gripen source codes. These industrial packages will include contractually binding obligations.

The transfer of the Technology programme will also allow full involvement in future capability development supplying Brazil strategic long term national security and technology superiority.
A long term partnership

“Gripen NG will provide a long term partnership between Brazil and Sweden in a well established fighter programme that continues to develop. Gripen will maintain its position at the cutting edge of technology for the next 30-40 years”, says Saab CEO Mr. Åke Svensson.

Gripen is in service with the Swedish, Czech Republic, Hungarian and South African Air Forces. It has also been ordered by the Royal Thai Air Force. The UK Empire Test Pilots’ School (ETPS) is operating Gripen as its advanced fast jet platform for test pilots worldwide. Saab is also delivering successful industrial cooperation programs in Czech Republic, Hungary and South Africa.

Source
http://www.gripen.com/en/MediaRelations/News/2009/gripen_ng_tender_for_brazil.htm

Offline F-111 C/C

• Hero of Flight
Re: Gripen NG tender for Brazil
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 03:49:29 PM »
Is this a 'done deal'? I thought Brazil was considering the Super Hornet. Personally, I'd rather have the Gripen, but that's me.
Wars are won by carrying the 'heavy iron' downtown!

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
Re: Gripen NG tender for Brazil
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 04:05:10 PM »
No it's not a done deal both aircraft makers put in bids and there another round of trials.  I don't think the French put in their final bid I'm sure that's coming soon. 

Gripen's are solid platform and Brazil has some ties with Saab and South Africa as well so this is not a sure Rafale thing yet.  I rate the SH third but it's radar, systems and weapons, are hard to beat   Plus the USN buying like 300+ so it has a future and that important when buying a advance fighter.  The 300+ number I think is more then the entire Gripen run added together.  Not that a bad or a good thing just that there's a lot of Hornets out there. 

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA