MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: STOVL F-35 Engages Lift Fan in Flight  (Read 4776 times)

Offline F-111 C/C

• Hero of Flight
STOVL F-35 Engages Lift Fan in Flight
« on: January 07, 2010, 11:27:23 PM »
Posted by Graham Warwick at 1/7/2010 2:23 PM CST  From AviationWeek

This just in - the first F-35B, aircraft BF-1, engaged its STOVL lift system in flight for the first time today (Jan. 7) during a test sortie from Pax River.

Lead STOVL pilot Graham Tomlinson engaged the shaft-driven lift fan at 5,000ft and 210kt, slowed to 180kt, then accelerated back to 210kt and converted back to conventional-flight mode.

The lift system was engaged for 14 minutes of the 48-min flight.

Plans call for the aircraft to fly progressively slower and lower on subsequent flights to build up confidence for the first vertical landing.
Wars are won by carrying the 'heavy iron' downtown!

Offline RecceJet

• Fighter Ace
Re: STOVL F-35 Engages Lift Fan in Flight
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 01:32:35 AM »
Another milestone! Well done to the JSF team!

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 12:08:40 PM »
Is it me, or is the F-35B getting more media exposure because of the fancy STOVL? Nobody seems to care about the F-35A prototype making its maiden flight back on Nov. 14. The first 'proper' F-35A prototype, following redesign to solve the weight issues. Plus half the world will be flying the -A variant, the STOVL is only for a relative few.
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline F-111 C/C

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 04:05:46 PM »
I was just happy to read some encouraging news about any variant. I so sick of reading all the naysayers negativity about the delays and setbacks, etc. of the 'A' model. I wish people would give this program some space to sort things out. I can't wait until it's operational so all the doubters will shut up.
Wars are won by carrying the 'heavy iron' downtown!

Offline Eldorado82

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 08:16:43 PM »
Indeed its a milestone for the STOVL. but it still a long way to full operational evenlope. I believe that all these critical systems are measured when they wors in a steady pace, like in squadrons and things like that. thinks like that- in the IAF we were calling them "opening flight evenlope" are goot for the prototypes but when an aircraft entering pre- and mass production itself i think it's systems should be checked and tested for a hunndred of times
Remembering Steven "TigerShark" Zeluff

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA