MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Cockpits of famous aircraft. The F-22 Raptor.  (Read 10384 times)

Offline AVIATOR

• Hero of Flight
  • TALLY HO CHAPS
Cockpits of famous aircraft. The F-22 Raptor.
« on: June 04, 2009, 07:10:21 AM »
F-22 Raptor

Now, just to show what I was saying with the F-111 looking last century, here is the F-22 Raptor

The F-22 is quite simply the most sophisticated fighter built. By every measure, the Raptor, represents breakthroughs in maneuverability, stealth, and sensor fusion. The aircraft's design is a balance of increased speed and range, enhanced offensive and defensive avionics, and greatly reduced observability. The F-22 will provide air dominance for the US and its allies for the next forty years. This cockpit is the first true glass cockpit with no standby mechanical gauges and only minimal dedicated controls on the console panels. Superior external visibility is provided by a canopy that is the largest piece of formed polycarbonate ever made.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Manufacturer: Lockheed Martin
Type: Fighter (Air Dominance)
Number Built: 85 (as of January 2007); 381 currently planned
First Flight: 29 September 1990 (YF-22); 7 September 1997 (F-22A)
In Service: 2005 – Present
Notable: The Raptor's first large-scale force-on-force wargame occurred in 2006 during Northern Edge exercise in Alaska when F-22 pilots racked up 144-0 score in simulated air-to-air combat.
Photographer/Location: John Rossino/Marietta, Georgia

Offline valkyrian

• Fighter Ace
  • Goodbye my friend Tigershark, R.I.P.
Re: Cockpits of famous aircraft. The F-22 Raptor.
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 09:27:02 AM »
F-22 Raptor
 Superior external visibility is provided by a canopy that is the largest piece of formed polycarbonate ever made.

About that superior external visibility, let me have my doubts, since both F-15/F-16 have better visibility.

Offline AVIATOR

• Hero of Flight
  • TALLY HO CHAPS
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 10:54:36 AM »
Er Val, this was written before Obama [BO]. There won't be any more F-22s made until Obama and the Democrats go. Back to the F-18 upgrades and stuff.

Offline F-111 C/C

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 10:01:04 PM »
F-22 Raptor
 Superior external visibility is provided by a canopy that is the largest piece of formed polycarbonate ever made.

About that superior external visibility, let me have my doubts, since both F-15/F-16 have better visibility.

Full-field visability is one of the many things you have to give up to be stealthy.
Wars are won by carrying the 'heavy iron' downtown!

Offline valkyrian

• Fighter Ace
  • Goodbye my friend Tigershark, R.I.P.
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 09:14:02 AM »
...and to lower the supersonic drag also. I wonder in a dogfight how this restricted view implies....

I liked that BO!!!!

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA