Historic Aviation > Warbirds

Fleet of Stutkas vs Fleet of Flying Fortresses

<< < (3/6) > >>

Goose:
I voted u-87 cause it acomplished it's intended role. The B-17 did also but to a lesser extent. I'm talkin accuracy here mostly. The 17 wasn't that great the way it was used, high level carpet daylight bombing. The Stuka was effective in it's intended dive bombing role. All this is neglecting air opposition.

alyster:
Bombing of Hamburg, a city destroied, bombing over Tokyo and Yokohama, which caused about 50% damge to the area. Well, the last 2 were done by B-29, but still the plane is very similar. Stuka could of never done such a stuff.

But also one thing that Luftwaffe was thinking about between Spanish civil war and WW2, was that how much bombs B-17 like bombers need and how litle Ju-87 needs. Third Reich would of been out of resources by the end 1943, if they would of had B-17.

Goose:
The B-17 did a good job of leveling the cities. What I'm basing my opinion on is the effectiveness in the intended role of the aircraft. The Stuka was designed to support the army and modified to destroy tanks. It did this admirably well. The Fort was designed for strategic bombing and it turn out not to be all that great as advertised. Effective none the less, but far from stellar. This is why i think the stuka to be more effective when considered in role.

RecceJet:

--- Quote from: Goose on January 07, 2006, 05:14:23 PM ---The B-17 did a good job of leveling the cities. What I'm basing my opinion on is the effectiveness in the intended role of the aircraft. The Stuka was designed to support the army and modified to destroy tanks. It did this admirably well. The Fort was designed for strategic bombing and it turn out not to be all that great as advertised. Effective none the less, but far from stellar. This is why i think the stuka to be more effective when considered in role.

--- End quote ---
That is roughly the point I was trying to convey too. The Stuka was more effective in the sense that it was more accurate in ordnance delivery. The Flying Fortress had a far greater range and payload, but its accuracy at a high altitude did not make it effective for pin-point (WW2-equivalent) accuracy the way the Stuka was effective. For this reason my vote goes to the Ju-87 :)

alyster:

--- Quote from: Goose on January 07, 2006, 05:14:23 PM ---The Stuka was designed to support the army and modified to destroy tanks. It did this admirably well.
--- End quote ---

Altough, for us Stutka seems only a good tactical bomber, it was still menth to be used for both: tactical and strategical bombing. And it was used well on both untill allies got enough AA-Guns and fighter power. If u don't belive me, go to Warsaw, Poland and ask someone about their old town, they'll awnser u about Luftwaffe bombers ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version