MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Cockpits of famous aircraft. The F-35 Lightning  (Read 6653 times)

Offline AVIATOR

• Hero of Flight
  • TALLY HO CHAPS
Cockpits of famous aircraft. The F-35 Lightning
« on: June 12, 2009, 07:47:24 AM »
F-35
Lightning II
Fifth-Generation Fighter

The F-35 Lightning II is a multinational, multiservice, single-pilot fighter designed with first-day-of-the-war, precision all-weather strike capability. This highly survivable fighter will be built in three variants – conventional takeoff and landing, short takeoff/ vertical landing, and carrier-based. Overall, the F-35 cockpit is a generation beyond preceding aircraft, as large liquid crystal touch-screen displays feature color-coded symbology, pictographs, and digital information. Also, the head-up display has been replaced by a helmet-mounted display as the primary flight reference. The complexity of missions, sensors used, and weapons employed make this fifth-generation cockpit necessary. Advanced technology makes it possible.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Manufacturer: Lockheed Martin/Northrop Grumman/BAE Systems
Type: Fighter (Multirole)
Number Built: 1 (as of January 2007) 2,581 currently planned
First Flight: 24 October 2000 (X-35A); 16 December 2006 (F-35A)
In Service: Service entry expected in 2012
Notable: The F-35 program is the largest aerospace defense program in US history. Eight international partners comprise the program.

Photographer/
Tom Harvey/Lockheed Martin, Fort Worth, Texas

« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 09:47:28 AM by AVIATOR »

Offline shawn a

• Hero of Flight
Re: Cockpits of famous aircraft. The F-35 Lightning
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 05:42:41 AM »
Wait a minute, here, how can the F-35 rate as a famous aircraft-- it's not even in operation!
After "operations" an aircraft has the opportunity to become "famous"
I simply asked a P-40 pilot if I could get a photo of his cockpit, and a few minutes later was sitting in a pristine Warhawk looking at EVERYTHING that was original in the plane, with a few modern additions.
THAT is a famous aircraft!

Offline AVIATOR

• Hero of Flight
  • TALLY HO CHAPS
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 06:03:38 AM »
Yes, total failure even though Webster's dictionary gives the interpretation of 'Famous' as "Well Known".
Seeing as how virtually the whole aviation world is talking about the F-35, I thought that could be classed as well known. I was wrong.
Any more mistakes like this and I will ask someone to ban me.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 06:17:35 AM by AVIATOR »

Offline shawn a

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 06:35:34 AM »
Forgiven.

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 12:44:43 PM »
Yes, total failure even though Webster's dictionary gives the interpretation of 'Famous' as "Well Known".
Seeing as how virtually the whole aviation world is talking about the F-35, I thought that could be classed as well known. I was wrong.

No, you are not wrong. I agree, the whole world knows it is coming, it is famous. It's just no legend or warbird (yet), neither can it already be called the 'greatest', but it sure is famous!
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA