MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: The Fantastic CF-105 Arrow  (Read 30308 times)

Offline valkyrian

• Fighter Ace
  • Goodbye my friend Tigershark, R.I.P.
Re: The Fantastic CF-105 Arrow
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2007, 09:22:08 AM »
Don't forget the Tu-22 as a good example of area rule.

I'd say that this area rule, dictated the shape of all the designs..you can see it as a styling ...........

But the British kept on designing ugly, monsters!!!

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
  • What's the next big thing?
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2007, 10:12:26 AM »
This was really aptly titled. The name "Arrow" just doesn't do it justice. It's a fantastic plane, though before i saw this thread (and went to do some research) i had never heard of it.

And to think that right now the USA has the most pathetic AA missiles.
-JCLim

Offline valkyrian

• Fighter Ace
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2007, 06:20:43 PM »
I think it was as advanced for its time as was the B-70. And i must not forget the F-12, the allien like superfighter.

Offline Flanker.94

• Flight Leader
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2007, 03:56:03 AM »
I think the cancellation and the scrapping of the CF-105 Arrow was the worst mistake of Canadian aeronautical industry. Why did Pres. Diefenbaker sacraped them all? What a gigantic mistake!
It's time to dive in the fireworks!

Offline valkyrian

• Fighter Ace
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2007, 02:25:49 PM »
Maybe he wanted to save money, for social purposes (hospitals, schools etc) which is good. But he didn't calculate the impact on the industry. How many people left without job ? Canada lost for sure the technological edge......and what is worst, paid to buy foreign planes, with a fraction of the capability of the Arrow....this short sighted desicion caused more damage, than if Canada had proceeded and bought the plane. After all, the money could stay in Canadian pockets..........

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2007, 09:44:51 AM »
Perhaps it was for the best. Who knows how advanced our aircraft would be today, without these miraculous projects being scrapped. With the Navy and Army having no time to catch up, and with other nations not having the time to develop such powerful engines and airframes, just saying we don't want to take over the world doesn't mean some other idiot won't.
-JCLim

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2007, 06:30:19 AM »
Quick check back. There were only 5 prototypes built. And the whole program was scrapped after barely a year.

Apparently the Delta configuration was chosen because it would have high fuel and payload capacity as well as a manuevering advantage over conventional swept-wing fighter designs.
-JCLim

Offline valkyrian

• Fighter Ace
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2007, 12:20:59 PM »
Good approach Raptor!. A tailess delta is less maneuvrable than a tailed one, but offers greater strength - due to the greater chord -  and naturally greater volume for fuel....

Overall, the Arrow designers deserved a Collier Trophy (that is what their american counterparts receive for significant achievements).

Without doubt, a better than convairs deltas, and equally good like the North American's F-108 Rapier. Not so -out of this world- like the F-12...

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2007, 03:28:44 PM »
I was doing a paper on any topic. So i picked this one and did a lot of research. It was very advanced period. 6,000 ft. take-off. Mach 2.

One of the requirements that the RCAF set was that it must be able to go from idle to 50,000 ft. and Mach 1.5 in less than 5 minutes. We're talking better performing than anything in that time. The RCAF checked in the US and France, before determining that none of the fighters that the afore mentioned met the requirements of the RCAF. It was only then that Avro was awarded the project. My aerodymanics handbook doesn't mention delta configurations. And i can't find any good books for sale. The library took them all. Any good books you recommend?

Some aftermath history: Apparently they destroyed the construction materials and prototype parts because of a fear/suspicion that there was a Soviet mole in the project. This was apparently confirmed to some degree in the Mitrokhin archives.

Oh yeah and there's this rumor that one prototype was spirited away. Absolute gossip, dear chap. Don't take heed to it.
-JCLim

Offline valkyrian

• Fighter Ace
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2007, 10:46:16 AM »
Dear Raptor, are you studying aerodynamics? I'll be glad to help u anyway i can. Just tell me what is your topic, and be sure i'll think of something.

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2007, 05:52:36 AM »
Well, not exactly. I picked the subject up in my free time. I have a friend who used to be an aeronautical engineer. Not sure what he's studying now, but i someone passed me the illustrated guide to aerodymanics. Sincec then... I've picked up a few other books. Anyway, thanks. I'll be sure to check with you. ;D
-JCLim

Offline Flanker.94

• Flight Leader
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2008, 06:33:29 PM »
I heard that an Arrow replica was tested in nuclear explosion ot test the effects of a nuke on a plane.
It's time to dive in the fireworks!

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA