Historic Aviation > Warbirds

What was the best air force in the later parts of World War II?

(1/2) > >>

Raptor:
This is a follow-up poll to "What was the best air force in the early part of world war 2 "pre 1943" "

I agree that some of these air forces are negligible. But look at the preperation of the entire force in overall, how well each was commanded, the quality of the men and machines, as well as the strategies employed.  ;)

alyster:
Polish airforce after Barbarossa, what's that  :o

If you'd ask for quality then untill somewhere to 1944 I'd still go with Luftwaffe. They were outnumbered in east and west yet they managed to put up a fight.  After 1944 they started to lack good pilots and feul. Although the use of Me-262 was from that era. First jet fighter to really see action. And it kept scoring untill may 1945, which is a very good result.

But just for quantity I'd say USAAF was strongest in second part of the war. They had to fight in 2 fronts yet they managed to pull of very big attacks.

Raptor:
Whoops, didn't see that. Thanks, alyster. I copied over from the other poll. Hm... Yes the USAAF did very well, but i'm more inclined towards the RAF, as they managed to do substantial damage without the resources the USAAF and Luftwaffe had.

Gripen:
What, no, the Polish did have an airforce, kind of

They were a part of the RAF/USAAF. They had their own complete unit that was controlled by the Polish Government in London, so in a way, they had their own airforce..

Anyway, my vote goes to the USAAF

alyster:

--- Quote from: Raptor on May 29, 2007, 07:45:07 AM ---Whoops, didn't see that. Thanks, alyster. I copied over from the other poll. Hm... Yes the USAAF did very well, but i'm more inclined towards the RAF, as they managed to do substantial damage without the resources the USAAF and Luftwaffe had.

--- End quote ---

???

If anything, then to my mind Luftwaffe always lacked stuff. What more to the end the more they lacked of everything.  Priorities were still the Waffen-SS and Whermacht on the eastern front.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version