Military Aviation > Air Forces

Thailand buys Gripen, or will they?

<< < (5/7) > >>

Raptor:
I see. The US has done much worse.
Argentina went all out and lost a war... Hooray Harriers! ;D

50 Falcons is quite a lot. But the US supports the Israeli's anti-whatever policy. *Shrug*

Webmaster:
They are taking deliveries of new F-16I "Sufa", as we speak. They are Block 52 two-seaters, with CFT and lots of Israeli components of course. 50 ordered in 2000, 52 more in 2001, first deliveries in 2003, final deliveries in 2009. Deal of 4.5 billion USD.

US promised Israel some 30 billion military aid for the next 10 years. Few more years and they'll start shopping for a fifth gen fighter, F-35 probably...

--- Quote ---If SAAB sells Gripen to a country that may use them for war and it would do "very good" in combat. That would increase its apeal on the market, right? But why cant SAAB or General Dynamics sell their equipment to countries where they had a coup or being instable? It does not make any sense, weapons of any form are destructive, no matter in whos hands it´s in.
--- End quote ---

Politics. Actually the "rules" depend on what the government's policies are and how they are prioritized, more than whether the weapon will be used yes or no. Deliveries weapons would not reflect the government's policy of protesting human right violations, defusing the instability, not recognizing the new goverment, or not fuel an arms race or support a regime, or whatever the case. If the policy of supporting an important ally is more important than such things, weapons are delivered even though they are not just a deterrent and actually used. It's just politics... it's not as simple as weapons are good vs weapons are bad.

The Netherlands (initially) supported the Operation Iraqi Freedom politically, but not military. Which was actually something like saying, we don't want a war, don't want conflict, but we must agree with and support the US on anything they do and Saddam is bad, so okay you can invade another country and kill people...

Anyway, I think the Swedish government will add up all the pros and cons of this deal, and let it go through. Since the US reluctance to sell them new F-16s, I wonder if there will be any intervention from the US on this though, because of the US components? Thailand has not been placed under a US embargo, right? Otherwise, it would be time to fit the EJ200?

Viggen:
Embargo?, Not that i know of.  The EJ200 is long overdue, they should of allready fitted it.  ;D

I hate stuff like this, first news all over the papers and on TV, now not a word.  If the deal is so important, why dont they let us know anything. Hate being kept in the dark.

I dont think there will be an intervetion from US, and Sweden has learned its lesson from the Viggen-era. US might even make some money of it, because of that. Im more worried about these peace-fanatics who might get some strong political assistance (backup)  and mess the whole deal up.  :)

Globetrotter:
Raptor, what do you mean with the allusion to the Malvinas war? I think I missed something

tigershark:

--- Quote ---Recently? Does it really matter?
I mean...
1956 Israeli-Arab war (a colonial war btw)
1967 Six Day war ("pre-emtive defensive strike" in short attack)
1981 a strike against iraqi nuclear facility*
1982 invasion of Lebanon
2006 Lebanon war
2007 Strike against Syria
... were not excatly what I'd call defense
--- End quote ---

There are three sides to most issues and the way they were listed made it sound like everything Israel did or does is wrong.  England and France have a lot to be blamed for the way the region was split up and way they handle many situations.   People forget that Israel made that country out an s____ hole in the desert not anybody else.  And Lebanon a problem created by Syria to get the focus out its own country and there many internal problems.   The areas where Israel was before the wars or in 1948 was not filled up with so many people.   Remember that countries like Jordan, Syria, and Egypt kick thousand and thousand of Palestine’s out there country and forced them into places like the west bank and other surrounding areas.  They were the second class citizens in all this country I listed and weren’t wanted, but that gets over looked by the press.  They were problems for the English and French before the Israeli were in power but that gets over looks as well.   Jordan’s king killed hundreds and basically forces them out of his country and onto Israeli’s door step.  Every country I named had internal problems at the time and most still does, and the best way to control people is give them a cause.  That cause is Israel it’s easy to make the problem on the next block and not your.  Its basic get and keep the masses busy hating something else and they won’t realize how bad there own country is.   Remember support in this region basically are the people supplying you and your family with your next meal, it’s poor and rough region to live it.   None of these three governments want any extra internal problem it’s better to keep the crazies pointing outward.   All these three countries and region were fighting each other for thousands of years even before 1948.   If you take away the Christ thing more people would be on the Israeli’s side but its how we were raised and it’s instilled in our heads, there bad no matter they do basically.   And how many countries give back what they won in wars right! but because there Israel and they should?   Hundreds of countries around the world would have change there borders if we did that.   What double standards we place on them that’s because the deep rooted religion thing.  We blame them for something we don’t even know they did that thousands of years ago.   Religion is very powerful and most wars in the past and in current times are still being waged because of it.   Because somebody wrote something a few hundreds years after the fact why weren’t the Romans blame for killing Christ didn’t they put Christ on the cross and stab him with the sword?  Rome held all the power back then Israeli’s were salves to and being killed daily.  Rome was the regional power they were in firm control, and they were the law.  Funny thing about writing history is what were they going to do blame themselves?  It’s always easier blaming somebody else right even in current times we do that.   I have somebody who from the region who lives on my block and his 72 year mother lives three blocks from the former PLO HQs and both sides do nasty things to each other just so I’m clear on that.  Nobody is perfect and there is bad being done to and from.  It’s always outsider keeping things active there it’s never just the two sides that live there aloud to work things out.   My friend has been in the US for 28 years and he’s like the Mayor of my block, but he even says 95 percent of all the weapons and bad people and support is from Iran, passing through Syria.   Did Israel take land from Iran too?   Its simple religion hate in the name of god we keep killing ourselves.     

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version