MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Which Air Force is Best?  (Read 95767 times)

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
  • We are not promised a tomorrow.
Re: Which Air Force is Best?
« Reply #72 on: September 18, 2006, 12:16:29 PM »
Im starting to get bored about reading politics on a aviationsite. There is other websites where you can discuss your hate and other dislikes for countries.  This need to stop now!!!  >:(
  • Interests: SAAB 37 Viggen
Patrik S.

Valiant1

« Reply #73 on: September 18, 2006, 01:40:43 PM »
deleted fraction of post

You're right, this isn't a political venue, I don't intend to make it so because I do love military jets.  I take it that you like the JS-37 Viggen?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2006, 01:58:30 AM by Webmaster »

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
« Reply #74 on: September 19, 2006, 01:57:18 AM »
I know where all this is coming from. Its ok to dislike other countries, but   two persons here  have babbling about it for days now.  I could get into it myself, but i just dont find MILAVIA to be the appropiate place for it.  I wont delete any of these posts, its up to our webmaster to decide. I just wanted to make my oppinion heard about this ongoing topic. (Im Swedish so i stay neutral).

Since the two guys here get along so well, why cant you two come up with a new poll we all can take. (Aviation-related).  ::)

PS.
I do like the JA37 Viggen and according to your late ex President Reagan, Sweden is the only country and JA37 Viggen who have been able to get a radarlock and fire an air to air missile on the sweet Blackbird. There is a framed document on the wall at the old airbase where i did my "tour of duty". Signed by President Reagan.  :)
Patrik S.

Valiant1

« Reply #75 on: September 19, 2006, 04:01:18 AM »
Mr. Viggen, not to kiss your butt or anything, I admire the Swedes; I've always particularly liked the Viggen and it's too bad your country is retiring them.  However, I really love the new Gripen, and if you've read one of my first posts - I've called the plane beautiful and graceful yet powerful.  As a matter of fact, I have a model of the Gripen I haven't built yet - it's made by Revell and it's a big model - 1/32 scale size.  It's good the Viggen got a lock on the Blackbird - it shows the competency of your country's air force.  I do admire the Swedish Air Force, frankly, I think the US should buy the Gripen to enhance our air force.  I've always believed in having numbers mixed with technology. 
Neutrality is fine - most of the times.  But sometimes neutrality is "turning the other way" when other countries might need assistance.  Yes, unfortunately the US government pokes their nose in everyone's business.  I'm talking about moderation.  Admittingly, I dislike France and I do believe they are extremely arrogant and ungrateful - but that's not my point.  My point has always been this- allies need to stick together and support one another.  Yes allies can disagree on certain topics, but when it comes down to the wire, we're all gonna need each other when times get REAL BAD AND UGLY.
That's my point - sticking together, supporting one another - and I hope Sweden will be there when things do get bad and ugly - especially for the Western Hemishpere - because that time will come and a new power will arise from the East- the Far East. 

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
« Reply #76 on: September 19, 2006, 11:59:31 AM »
He he, I think you missunderstood me, but i do agree with you on the neutrality.  :)

Yes, Gripen is a much better plane then Viggen. But i grew up with the Viggen-era so it was though to see them retire. What i would love to see is Gripen invited to your Red Flag exercise. I know its only for your allies, but recently the Gripen and crew   patricipade in "Cooperative Cope Thunder 2006" up in Alaska, so maybe there is hope.
Patrik S.

Offline Cobra2

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2006, 10:57:30 PM »
I like the SA-35 Draken, the SA-37 Viggen, and the Gripen also :) especially the Viggen...and Viggen (not the plane, I mean you  :D)
I saw in my figther plane book and i saw all that the Viggen could carry for one sortie  :o quite a bit...Im not sure of any other planes that can carry that much but I havnt seen there load haha...but it looks like a lot.

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
« Reply #78 on: September 20, 2006, 02:36:59 AM »
I think i know wich picture you seen of the Viggen with its ordonance. But the pic lies, it cant carry all that weaponary at the same time. Ex: JA37 can carry 2 sidwinder, 2 skyflash, 1 external fueltank + a couple of hundred 30mm rounds.

Viggen designations:

AJ37 = Attack version.
JA37 = Fighter/Interceptor ver.

SK37 = Training ver.

SK37E = Electonicwarfare ver.
SH37 = Radarrecon ver. (Over sea).
SF37 = Photorecon ver.

AJS37/ AJSH37/ AJSF37/ = AJ37 converted into multirole versions.

PS. Im sorry Niels that i have still not finished the Viggen section.  :-[
Patrik S.

Offline Cobra2

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #79 on: September 20, 2006, 03:42:25 AM »
Oh, its was in my fighter plane book...Ill describe the picture: it was showing a Viggen from the front with all its ordnance.

Maybe the book ment what it can carry altogether??  :-\

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
« Reply #80 on: September 20, 2006, 12:58:00 PM »
Yupp, it probably means that. The armament of Viggen is prettty bad compared to other fighters, but then it´s never supposed to engage in close dogfights.
Patrik S.

Valiant1

« Reply #81 on: September 24, 2006, 02:13:54 PM »
I've been reading some of the older posts and I have to say, I found a couple of them quite amusing - like a couple who've said Pakistan has the best air force.  Yes, I know, I mentioned something about Pakistan already but I'd have to say, there is ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY, NO WAY, TIL PIGS FLY, does Pakistan have the best air force in the world.
Hypothetically, if there was a war between the US and Pakistan and a squadron of F-22s, F-15s and F-16s were approaching the Pakistani Air Force (fllying American hardware, of course) , I'd feel really bad that we'd have to shoot down ALL of our own planes flown by the PAF. 
Like someone else here said, you have to look at the big picture.  China is the one to watch.  They are modernizing their entire air fleet.  Numbers don't make it all, but it sure helps.  Russia lacks the finances, why else are they selling their Mig 29s and Su-27s to everyone else?  For most of the European nations, it's about economics -what they can afford to have.  South Africa - is NOT the best in the world, PERIOD.  They have limited resources.  ISRAEL deserves to be on this list - they do have some of the VERY BEST dogfighters in the world - they have to - they're surrounded by nations who want to destroy them - GO ISRAEL!!!
Overall, the United States has the best airforce - 1. the US has the resources - the planes and  the pilots 2.  the latest, most lethal equipment - F-22s and F-35s, upgrades for current fighters, most transport planes, early warning radar planes, etc. 3. most training available to pilots 4. financial resources and fundings 5. the cooperation and combined efforts of 2 other air forces - the Navy and Marines and to some extent the US Army (AH-64 Apaches and other types of helis). 
It's all these combined resources that make the US Air Force the best in the world.     

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
« Reply #82 on: September 24, 2006, 04:08:50 PM »
Well, those persons are patriotic. I like to think of the Swedish air force as the best one. I said it before and im going to say it again...Everybody has the right to be proud of their own airforce without someone else criticising his/hers belives.  :)
Patrik S.

Offline Cobra2

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #83 on: September 24, 2006, 07:01:18 PM »
And Viggen, I respect you for that..Valiant or I am NOT criticising other poeples airforces...but it really is the truth..it just is...and i think Sweden should be on the best airforce list  :) but it is true that America is ontop.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2006, 10:39:23 PM by Cobra2 »

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA