MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Readying the bomb for secret underground nuclear installations  (Read 12529 times)

Offline AVIATOR

• Hero of Flight
  • TALLY HO CHAPS
Readying the bomb for secret underground nuclear installations
« on: October 17, 2009, 10:04:34 AM »
                    Pentagon's new bomb targets hidden weapons bunkers                                                                                                                                                                      14 October 2009                                                                                                                                                                                                                        THE Pentagon is speeding up delivery of a colossal bomb designed to destroy hidden weapons bunkers buried underground and shielded by 10,000lb of reinforced concrete.

The 15-ton "massive ordnance penetrator" (MOP) will be the largest non-nuclear bomb in the US arsenal, ten times more powerful than the weapon it replaces. The Pentagon has awarded a $52 million (£33m) contract to speed up placement of the bomb aboard the B-2 Stealth bomber, and officials say the bomb could be fielded as soon as next summer.

Guided by global positioning system navigation, the MOP will be carried by Air Force B-2 bombers. Pentagon officials acknowledge the bomb is intended to blow up fortified sites such as those used by Iran and North Korea for their nuclear programmes, but deny specific targets.

A B-2 Stealth bomber can carry up to 23 tonnes of payload so if 15 tonnes isn't enough get ready for a bigger one that is.

Close down the sites or cop one of these.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 11:07:49 PM by AVIATOR »

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
Re: Readying the bomb for secret underground nuclear installations
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 04:59:22 AM »
Any idea on its military designation? GPS guided, so I'd guess GBU-something?
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline AVIATOR

• Hero of Flight
  • TALLY HO CHAPS
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 01:24:19 PM »
Its technical designation appears to be GBU-43/B

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 04:16:32 PM »
Don't think so, GBU-43 is the MOAB air blast bomb. I did a search, and it's GBU-57. I wonder what the article means with the bomb it is replacing... seems to me it's really replacing a nuke, as the GBU-27 and 28 won't be dropped from the inventory just because there's a bigger bomb.

Apparently two can be carried per B-2, that means the B-2's maximum warload is actually more than the 18 or 23 tonnes that's always reported. Which is not surprising considering the massive MTOW (150+ tonnes) and fuel capacity (75+ tonnes).

In line with the article, I'm talking metric tonnes.
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline AVIATOR

• Hero of Flight
  • TALLY HO CHAPS
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 12:04:55 AM »
You found it. I looked pretty hard but couldn't see the designation.

I think that the pertinent fact about this massive 'purpose built' weapon is............ are they going to use them or have they developed them simply to say to Iran and North Korea, "You have no place to hide your stuff, we can get them if we want"?
Knowing this must make a difference in bringing them to heel.

Secondly if the world is heading for a nuclear strike by a rogue nation, they will know that after the strike comes oblivion in the form of the arrival over their airspace of the B-2s

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 03:23:48 AM »
Well, I suppose...
say to Iran and North Korea, "You have no place to hide your stuff, we can get them if we want"?
...and...

going to use them
...against some under-developed enemy that's using tunnels and caves, but it's too risky to fight them, and there's not enough manpower to keep them from using the ancient tunnels. If too late for Afghanistan, surely they'll serve their purpose nearby.
But more importantly, it's a good weapon to have for the longer term, many other countries also have various military complexes underground, including your personal enemies Russia, China and Vietnam.
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline AVIATOR

• Hero of Flight
  • TALLY HO CHAPS
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 04:18:18 AM »
My personal enemies? What are you on about now Niels?

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 06:54:54 AM »
Well, you don't seem to trust them, so you'd want a penetrator weapon. Especially since I won't allow you to go nuclear.  ;)
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline AVIATOR

• Hero of Flight
  • TALLY HO CHAPS
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 07:33:34 AM »
Well there could be people in the US military that might just think that if they had to go to war with China, two of those MOBs, followed by two more in the aircraft behind and a few more plane loads like those following, aimed at where the Three Rivers Dam joins the unstable earthworks at the sides might just bring down the lot and with in a thousand foot high wall of water.
Who needs nuclear weapons?

Offline shawn a

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 01:57:31 AM »
I heard china has stated that they would use nukes only in response to a nuclear attack upon china, but taking out the 3 Gorges dam seems like it could provoke a radioactive response.
I'm not religious, in fact I don't like religion, but for want of a better word, I "pray" for world peace--But with most countries on earth-even the poorest ones--arming themselves to the teeth, I feel it just aint gonna happen.
Deeper and deeper tunnels may prevent the actual destruction of a facility, but tunnels must have an entrance which when destroyed would effectively entomb the facility.
If a bothersome beehive contained only one 40lb. bee, you could destroy the hive with a sledgehammer. Try that with a hive containing 5,000  1/2 gram bees!! Sometimes it's best to disperse things you wish to protect and hide them in plain sight. Bin Laden probably drives a cab in Washington D.C.

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA