Military Aviation > Air Power

Tactic vs. Tactic

<< < (5/5)

tigershark:
I'm not sure if there called regular fanatics or what but I saw a Wings show about how small groups of German pilots rammed allied bombers and one from the show I saw live to tell about it. 

I think the Iraqi no fly zone was one of the first AMRAAM kills by an American aircraft.  A F-16 shot down a Mig-23 from over 20 miles away I'm looking for it now.

Eritrean-Ethiopian War - Very interesting since it was Russian built aircraft vs Russian built aircraft but the information given about even at www.acig.org may be flawed.   A poster in this other big name forum said the information was wrong and could not be confirmed.  I would think it would be hard to confirmed fighting in this region at that time as it would in the Iraq-Iran war.  Myself I'm not big fan of the AIM-54 and can't see it hitting a fighter size aircraft.  To me it's cold war weapons made to to hit slow moving Bear bombers not fighters.  I guess if fired at groups of fighters stupid enough to stay in group formations being painted by F-14 radar's then I guess its possible to score hits. 

Viggen:
He he, no big deal. I was just trying to add a diffrent tactic to the topic. I agree with you that the kamikazes where not that sucssesfull. The pilots were just boys with only a few hours of flighttraining.

I know to little about missiles and avionics to give a real thought through tactic and come up with a plan too Raptors idéa.  :)

Webmaster:

--- Quote from: nonpilot on February 07, 2008, 03:06:07 AM ---I think the Iraqi no fly zone was one of the first AMRAAM kills by an American aircraft.  A F-16 shot down a Mig-23 from over 20 miles away I'm looking for it now.

--- End quote ---

You're right, it wasn't during the war (desert storm) but after. But I think the one you are referring to was in '93.

--- Quote ---In December 1992 an F-16 pilot fired the first AMRAAM in actual combat, shooting down a MiG-25 Foxbat during a confrontation over southern Iraq.
http://warfare.ru/?linkid=2519&catid=348

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: nonpilot on February 07, 2008, 03:06:07 AM ---Eritrean-Ethiopian War - Very interesting since it was Russian built aircraft vs Russian built aircraft but the information given about even at www.acig.org may be flawed.   A poster in this other big name forum said the information was wrong and could not be confirmed. 

--- End quote ---

Well, it's important of course to remember that they are claims, not facts. And in some cases you could even question 'confirmed claims'. But was this poster able to prove the information was wrong, or he just thinks it's wrong because it's not confirmed?

Anyway, this kill record stuff is so sensitive, that I'm not even touching it on my pages (at least not to the extend that ACIG tries to). It can be challenging enough to get the normal facts right for Russian types, with so much outdated, errorneous info about.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version