MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Algeria to acquire six modern Sukhoi-30 jet fighters  (Read 8434 times)

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
Algeria to acquire six modern Sukhoi-30 jet fighters
« on: October 05, 2007, 04:14:14 AM »
Algeria to acquire six modern Sukhoi-30 jet fighters

I thought the Mig-29 upgrades and new SMT Fulcrums were ordered to why just the Flankers?   This order gave the Mig-29 production line a shot in the arm I would thought by now mighty hotrod Fulcrums would be filling the skies.  Still no Yak-130 either and not sure about any T-90s.  Is Algeria not paying their bills or something?

The story I found
http://english.people.com.cn/90001/90777/6276578.html

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
Re: Algeria to acquire six modern Sukhoi-30 jet fighters
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 03:03:37 AM »
It are the first six Su-30MKA of 28 ordered in 2006, they are produced by Irkut, so from the Su-30MKI branch. Looks like they aren't breaking their delivery promises, bravo to them. Irkut has been rolling Su-30s off their production line in full tempo for some time now, completely different story than the Yak-130. But I think the first Yaks for Algeria have been finished now and are undergoing testing?

The AF commander refused some MiG-29SMT's because they were second hand surplus aircraft (which was the deal I think), but the point was that they were not overhauled properly and there was talk the air force rather would buy new ones (MiG-29M/MiG-35) then. This kinda screwed up the delivery and financial schedule of course. As far as I know, it is still accepting the two-seaters though, which are produced up to the desired standard. The Flankers are not replacement for this deal, at least not these 28.

Algeria needs to replace a big fleet, choosing a hi-lo mix of Flankers and Fulcrums makes sense.

T-90, well I'm not watching tanks, but it's all part of that 2006 deal, I wouldn't be surprised if it actually takes longer to ramp up or gear up T-90 production than for these higher priced aircraft.
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Sergei

• Pilot
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007, 10:28:35 AM »
In 2006-2007 to Algeria it has been put about 100 tanks T-90S, and also a party of anti-tank rocket complexes "Metis-M" and "Kornet-E".  8) You may look on website of UN (part "disarmament").

Besides in 2008-2009 Algeria antiaircraft rocket-gun complexes "Tunguska-M1" and S-300PMU-2 "Favorit", and also two diesel submarines of the project 636 more known as "Kilo-M" on classification of NATO will be put.

Also are already put, if I confuse nothing, 18 MiG-29SMT and MiG-29UBT, and as it has already been told, 6 fighters Su-30MKA. ;)
Жыве Беларусь!

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2007, 10:44:23 PM »
Hi Sergei
Do mean Algeria already took delivery of 18 SMT/UBT Fulcrums?   Do you think Algeria might be the first Mig-35 customer?   I like the prototype Mig-35 a lot Russia could have a very good seller if they get it to market.  With the latest advancement it really seems like a all purpose fighter now with the added devices for marketing targets and of course the AESA radar.   Russia could cover both sides of the hi lo market with the Su-30/35 & Mig-35.  I still feel both need to need to be bought by Russia themselves to really help boast sales.   

Offline Sergei

• Pilot
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 12:00:31 AM »
Hi, nonpilot!

Yes, Algeria already has 18 MiG-29SMT and UBT (two squadrons). I think the first buyer of MiG-35 will be India (tender - 126 fighters).
Жыве Беларусь!

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007, 03:08:41 AM »
Hi Sergei
Why doesn't Russia have press releases when new aircraft go out!    They should have the press showing off the finished and operational SMT Fulcrums.   If Boeing changes a bolt on a F-16 there's a press release covering it I just don't understand.  Do you know of any sites where I can read about it in English?   If I'm not mistaking the SMT model still has 6 hard points and the K/M/Mig-35 models goes up to 8 hard point, correct me if I'm wrong.   I want to read positive pilot comments on how much better the SMT models are over the 9.12 models.   Do they have the newer D-33 II/III/K engines?   Is the range increased by 30/40 percent?  Thanks in advance if you can provide any information.  javascript:void(0);
Smiley

Offline Sergei

• Pilot
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2007, 11:44:09 AM »
Because in Russia very much-very don't love PR!!! The vivid example - MAKS-2007. When our, Russian fighters fly, the commentator especially doesn't adorn event. As soon as has started to fly F-15C and for the board has sat down the american commentator - at once has gone cheap, poorly put PR: "F-15 can conduct only offensive fight - it is not able to defend..." Funny! :) :) :) :) :)

As to a site on which in English it's possible to esteem about MiG-29SMT/K - http://www.airwar.ru

What is "hard point"? I misunderstand you.
Жыве Беларусь!

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2007, 09:20:35 PM »
Hi Sergei
A hard point is a pylon or weapons station where bombs, missiles, drop tanks, can be mounted.   

Couldn't find anything in English on that web sites thanks anyway. 

Offline Sergei

• Pilot
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2007, 10:28:02 PM »
Greetings, nonpilot!

I'll try, if there will be a free time, within the next few days to translate clause about MiG-29SMT and MiG-29K in english.
Жыве Беларусь!

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA