MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Aurora?  (Read 6741 times)

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
  • What's the next big thing?
Aurora?
« on: March 01, 2008, 11:42:12 AM »
Recently i've been reading a lot on this thing. I'm sure you guys all know what it is. Question is-Is it real, and if so, how do you know?
-JCLim

Offline BigsWick

• Pilot
Re: Aurora?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 11:00:55 PM »
Interesting subject.

I too have wondered for years whether or not such a plane exists or is under development. Most supporters of the idea point out that there was no real successor to the SR-71. Some folks credit satellite technology as having obviated the need for spy aircraft, but satellites move in and out of phase, have limited times over targets, and can't always provide real time intelligence. Therefore, the logic follows, an SR-71 like plane is needed.

Ben Rich, in his wonderful book Skunk Works , claims that the code name "Aurora" was assigned to the funding for the B-2 project. However, when that information leaked its way out of congressional hearings, someone in the media ran with the story and, according to Rich, fabricated the story about a hypersonic spy plane being built by Lockheed. He flat out denies the claims, saying that such a plane, "...simply does not exist." (pg. 309)

Perhaps Rich was right and no such plane exists. Maybe, but I'm not so quick to dismiss the possibilty. It could be that Lockheed isn't in the loop, but that doesn't mean that Northrop/Grumman, Boeing, or some other company isn't or hasn't been working on a similar project for years.

Offline alyster

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 12:44:34 AM »
Haven't we discussed it already somewhere here?
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes

Offline Gripen

• General of Flight
  • WHATEVER YOUR PAST, THE FUTURE IS GRIPEN!
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 04:07:42 AM »
Haven't we discussed it already somewhere here?

I thought that was the F-26 Stalma or whatever its called  ???

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
  • What's the next big thing?
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 08:11:10 AM »
alyster-I have no idea i haven't seen any topic about the aurora.

Gripen-The Stalma is a scam fighter. This is a controversial hypersonic replacement for the SR-71.

BigsWick-True. Could be that some other company might be developing something along those lines. And then again. The USAF might already be flying lots of hypersonic "Auroras"
-JCLim

Offline alyster

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 11:58:27 AM »
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA