MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Conformal fuel tanks (CFTs)  (Read 10165 times)

Offline God Bless USA

• Flight Leader
Conformal fuel tanks (CFTs)
« on: May 27, 2008, 12:18:10 AM »
The Israeli Air Force (IAF) bought the F-16I with conformal fuel tanks. Why hasn't the USA used the conformal fuel tanks on there F-16's? Also can conformal fuel tanks be used on other fighter aircraft?

Offline iluveagles

• Veteran
Re: Conformal fuel tanks (CFTs)
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 12:38:53 AM »
Why use them? Little aerodynamic hindrance is the only real plus. Drop tanks allow aircraft to easily 'turn and burn'(you can't drop CTFs)even though the CTFs may not hinder the aircraft's aerodynamics, they add weight...........if I'm about to go into a dogfight I don't want an extra couple hundred or thousand pounds on my wings, I want to be faster, lighter, AND more aerodynamic.

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 03:51:12 AM »
God Bless USA
The Israeli Air Force (IAF) bought the F-16I with conformal fuel tanks. Why hasn't the USA used the conformal fuel tanks on there F-16's?

For a number of reasons: we have more tankers, any or most long range attacks by the Israeli's couldn't have or want tankers dragging behind, tankers hanging out could tip off an attack.  US Air Force is huge compared to Israel's and we fight differently usually.  I assume we have them and could be setup on the later Block models but Mike would know.

Also can conformal fuel tanks be used on other fighter aircraft?
Webmaster correct me but don't F-15s use a conformal type tank or tanks?

iluveagles- valkyrian would know better then I but I assume drop tanks have a lot more drag on an aircraft CTFs?  If I were going on a long mission I would prefer CFTs gives me extra hard points for missiles or weapons. javascript:void(0);
Wink

Offline iluveagles

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 05:58:58 AM »
Yes, F-15s use both..........I assume we configure them based on what type of mission they are going on.

I was focusing on shorter ranges, I can see a longer range issue. However, with pylons the F-15 doesn't have to worry either way........drop tanks just make more sense to me in the air to air role. Like I said, regardless of aerodynamics, it still means that you have a bunch of extra wait. Correct me if I'm wrong, but before going into combat is it not procedure to drop the tanks(obvioulsy providing they are DT's and not CTF's)?

Offline God Bless USA

• Flight Leader
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 10:51:06 PM »
F-18 Hornets have a short fuel range why do they not have them?  Who came up with Conformal fuel tanks (CFTs)?

Offline iluveagles

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 12:02:44 AM »
Thats correct the F-18 does not use CTFs, I am going to guess that is because they need to land on a carrier. Whether they have to drop their tanks for every landing or not I have no idea(which I assume they don't).

No idea, probably us, then again just about anyone could have come up with them............not that amazing of a peice of equipment.

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 12:37:08 AM »
Hi iluveagles
I don't think it's procedure to drop them going into combat but maybe air to air.  Air to air is so rare in todays warfare I can't even think of the last air combat that took place.  Maybe US or NATO aircraft shooting down a Serb Mig-29A? 

Offline iluveagles

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 05:50:49 AM »
What about Iraq...........and I believe it is if you're going to turn and burn.........

Offline MKopack

• Pilot
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 06:26:13 PM »
I can't say under what exact circumstances you would jettison your external tanks. Out pilots did during several air-to-ground Desert Storm missions where they were engaged with multiple SAMs - including the Package Q mission to Baghdad where we lost 228 and 257. For more information and inflight video of the mission, please see our website at: http://www.lucky-devils.net/baghdad.html

Fuel tanks though cost $$, and like almost everything else, you have to consider the use of your available assets in compairson with what you'll get by using them. We had a limited number of fuel tanks going into the war, and while we had a crew that built more from kits almost nightly, but they were still a limited resource, so we always thought of it as a 'drop them if you have to' but if you drop them too often, there was always the possibility of their not being replacements.

The concept of utilization of assets also folds into why the US doesn't use conformal tanks on their 16's. The USAF generaly uses the Viper as a short ranged, general purpose fighter / attack aircraft. The conformal tanks give the acft a pretty good deep strike capability, but that mission is, in general, filled by the F-15E's. I don't have experience with CFT equipped aircraft, so this is just opinion, but I would think that at least the Block 30 and above aircraft could likely be modified to carry the tanks with a structural and fuel system modification program. While I assume that it has been considered on at least a limited scale, I would guess that it was decided against going forward based upon the fact that you would be spending what are today very limited dollars to give an aircraft capabilities that we already posess in the Strike Eagle.

Yes, 15's use both CFT's and underwing drop tanks, but in general C's carry only drops, while the E's are rarely (if ever) seen without the CFT's.

Mike

Offline iluveagles

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2008, 04:30:42 AM »
As I suspected..........thanks for the info.

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
  • What's the next big thing?
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 07:51:00 AM »
MKopack-I've never seen a 15E without the CTFs before. I've seen Cs with CTFs, though... If you needed a second opinion, nonpilot...

Since this thread started with the F-16s... Doesn't the Block 52+ have some tanks on both upper sides of the fuselage?
-JCLim

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008, 02:28:03 AM »
Also, US goes into a conflict, establishes total air domination, and brings along the tanker fleet. For deep strike, the US has always had specialized fighters/bombers. Israel doesn't, but needs a deep strike capability. I suppose those F-15Is alone were not enough.

And perhaps so Israel wouldn't need to base its F-16s so close to its borders. I think the larger standard underwing tanks aren't cleared for supersonic, while the CFTs are... not sure though.
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA