MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Did the USN do a better job then the USAF for future coverage?  (Read 4662 times)

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
Just reading this below attached article and I think the USN did a little better buy purchasing more Hornets to cover the gap until the F-35 goes active.  The gap in the USAF F-16 Fighting Falcon squadrons may end up hurting our forces deployed around the world in different regions who depend on air support. 

I guess it's a budget issues but I think the USAF could have easily purchase three to four new squadrons of F-16s to carry them over until the F-35 is bought up and assigned to active squadrons.  The newly bought F-16s could always be used and in time transferred to National Guard units so there's little chance of purchase being wasted.  I can't see National Guard units getting F-35s anytime soon so any new aircraft purchases would have to go a long way.  I see this as an issue you can't have your reserves not trained up on your current base types?

The USN may still need to buy more F/A-18 E/F Hornets to get buy 2015/16/17 is a long a way away can only imagine how many F-16s will be flying in 2015?  It's pretty safe to assume there will be a need for them that's for sure.

Questions On U.S. Air Sovereignty Mission 
http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/generic/story_generic.jsp?channel=aerospacedaily&id=news/SOVER042309.xml&headline=Questions%20On%20U.S.%20Air%20Sovereignty%20Mission

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
Re: Did the USN do a better job then the USAF for future coverage?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 02:47:24 PM »
Aren't many of the F-16C/Ds actually younger than the C/D Hornets of the Navy? Including those of ANG units, I think some units received brand new C/Ds 5-10 years ago and not used ones from active units. I am sure the majority of them can be given life extension upgrades to keep on serving until the F-35 arrives. But yeah, the USAF needs to fully commit to the F-35 and/or to an interim solution and thus stop their hopeless campaign for buying more F-22s, as I said before and was highly criticized for. Ow yeah, and guys, get new tankers fast!  ;)

I wouldn't say the USN did better though! I think those additional Hornets will be formally (as in strength on paper) coming too late... The F-35C for the USN will be coming much later than the F-35A for the USAF...!
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA