MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: F-15C vs F15E vs F16C vs F18E/F  (Read 8025 times)

Offline God Bless USA

• Flight Leader
F-15C vs F15E vs F16C vs F18E/F
« on: June 10, 2008, 12:40:43 PM »
Using the USA aircraft listed above which one would you pick for the folllowing mission and why?
1. Bomber
2. Fighter
3. For support of ground forces
4. Interceptor
5. Reconnaissance

One last question for you.  Which one do you think is the best multi-role aircraft listed?

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
Re: F-15C vs F15E vs F16C vs F18E/F
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 03:57:56 PM »
1. You didn't list any bombers
2. All could be use in theory but you wouldn't use a F-15E in such roles normally because it's an attacker/striker platform.
3. all your choices except the F-15C, it's mainly a air to air platform but it does have a 20mm cannon 
4. F-15C mainly because it's designed as one but F/A-18 E/F does fill this role and others for the USN, in theory all the aircraft you listed could perform on some levels in this role. 
5. Reconnaissance that's a good question, pods can be attached to most platforms but maybe not the F-15C.  I'm not sure on this one. 
6. all are multi-role except the F-15C.  Which is the best is too difficult a question really without more input on the mission requirements.   In most cases the task or the mission dictates what platform is used and/or what assets are available.   
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 07:18:09 PM by nonpilot »

Offline God Bless USA

• Flight Leader
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 12:29:21 PM »
Thank you nonpilot!  After reading your post I should have listed them as follows.
1. Bombing
2. Fighter
4. Interceptor
5. Patrol

My pick.

1. F-15E Payload
2. F-15C Its record speaks for itself
3. F-18F The weapon systems officer can deliver laser-guided bombs, to minimize the risk to ground forces. It also has two engines, if ground forces hit one it still has one to continue and return safe from its mission.
4. F-15C Range and if it needs to fight it can
5. F-16C Low cost versatile aircraft

As for best multi-role aircraft.  A tough one but I have to go with F-16C because for the price you can have more. 

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 05:10:18 PM »
Hi God Bless USA
I'll go another round on this since you made some changes
1. Bombing
2. Fighter
4. Interceptor
5. Patrol

Your latest picks
1. F-15E Payload
2. F-15C Its record speaks for itself
3. F-18F The weapon systems officer can deliver laser-guided bombs, to minimize the risk to ground forces. It also has two engines, if ground forces hit one it still has one to continue and return safe from its mission.
4. F-15C Range and if it needs to fight it can
5. F-16C Low cost versatile aircraft
6. As for best multi-role aircraft.  A tough one but I have to go with F-16C because for the price you can have more.

1. This why these general type questions are rough to answer sometimes - You never gave any specs on mission type all the aircraft you listed accept the F-15C can carry bombs.  Yes the F-15E is the largest aircraft and does carry the larger payload
2. All carry the same air to air missile and the Block-II Hornets have a better radar but in general I would want to be in a F-15C with a ASEA radar.  In theory all could be a fighter.
3. All can deliver laser-guided bombs except F-15C and I'm sure F-15E/F/A-18 and F-16 pilots would all say there aircraft is the best at it.   
You mention having two engines if ground forces if you mean small arms fire most LGB are dropped higher up to avoid that and if you mean  SAM's well I guess if it explodes on one side the other engines won't damage, but that's slim.           
4. I agree for an interceptor - range, speed, radar, and payload (how many air to air missiles a platform can carry are important) F-15C with a ASEA radar out of your choices. 
5. A F-16 single engine fighter flying at 300 knots decent full load basic air to air load out might be the best choice depending on the situation.   The situation may call for heavy long range fighters with lots of tanker supports.  The situation or mission task dictates the platform.   
6. You never mention a budget so the price issue was never a thought, but the F-16 does cost less then the others you listed.

These type questions can be fun but I think you see how there worded is the key and how you describe the situation. (smile face)

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA