MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: F-15s Looking for the AESA Edge  (Read 5928 times)

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
F-15s Looking for the AESA Edge
« on: November 02, 2008, 01:48:27 AM »
I just found this article about putting AESA radar's on more F-15C and it states in the article that it will turn them into turn the F-15Cs into multi-role fighters.  Does that mean there be hanging metal off their wing?   I didn't think F-15C driver get AG training though that was a pure F-15E thing.  I know the South Korean birds do both why not the US Eagles?  It would be nice to see the C models used more instead of just burning holes in the sky.  I thought the C models use the same frames as the E models but the E models have reinforced wings.  I assume in theory that a C model Eagle can carry decent payloads.  I'm pretty sure in both war regions that the C models aren't used much because there's not much of a fighter threat overall.

F-15s Looking for the AESA Edge "A good breakdown on radar's with dates on deployment on this page"
http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/

USAF Planning F-15C Multi-Role Upgrades
http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/usaf-planning-f15c-multirole-upgrades-02538/
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 01:53:17 AM by nonpilot »

Offline valkyrian

• Fighter Ace
  • Goodbye my friend Tigershark, R.I.P.
Re: F-15s Looking for the AESA Edge
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 05:45:12 PM »
The E model weighs about 14500 kg due to reiforced structure to withstand the gust loads of low flights. If i am not wrong, their operational life is double than the C,D's.

With the fatigue problems that the Eagles are facing, i doubt if they going to put the airframes in this extra load.

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
Re: F-15s Looking for the AESA Edge
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 03:11:08 AM »
They have been designed with unguided bombs in mind though. Look in some older books and you'll find Mk's listed for the F-15A. It's just fitting a different set of rails AFAIK. So slapping two JDAMS or SDB launchers wouldn't be a problem, weight wise at least. And the radar was already dual mode, right?

This could come in handy if you have C's on patrol over a battlefield for CAS. But indeed, why would you with the F-22 being capable of the same and plenty of E's around for at least as long. Not to mention the SH.

I think you have to look at it more from an awareness point of view. Far better awareness of what's facing them on the ground. A2A Fighters have been targeted on no-fly zone reinforcement sorties from the ground. All they could do is turn of radar and bail, without knowing anything other than direction of the threat.

The Brits fitted ALARM to their F.3s (by trial) because the F.3 already has a powerful Emitter Locator System. AESA will give that possibility to the F-15 and then some. Low probability of intercept radar, plus simultaneous AA and AS scanning. AGM-88 is like the AIM-7, so let's say 2x AIM-120, 2x AGM-88 on the fuselage, 2x AIM-9 on the wings. That's isn't a heavy load.
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA