MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Indonesia AF  (Read 5286 times)

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
Indonesia AF
« on: July 31, 2007, 10:53:22 PM »
Pacific Rim series
A mixed fleet of aircraft and different suppliers make Indonesia interesting aircraft wise.  They could go in different directions down the road as far of picking up more aircraft but most likely with more Flankers.  If money matters change and their economy picks up a little I wonder if England could sell a few Typhoon's?  My reasoning is Malaysia MKM Su-30 Flankers, maybe Indonesia might want something to off-set them a little.   It's reaching a little I know but does anybody know if England tried sell those so called Flanker killer in this region of the world? 

A little background
The first of eight F-16A's and four F-16B's were delivered in December 1989.
http://www.f-16.net/f-16_users_article6.html

In June 1993, the TNI-AU ordered eight Hawk Mk109's and sixteen Hawk Mk209's from BAe.

Early August 1997, Jakarta announced the decision to purchase twelve SU-30KI's similar to the version delivered to India,

In a surprise move during a visit to Russia in April 2003, Indonesian President Megawati Sukarnoputri signed a contract for the delivery of two Su-27SK's, two Su-30MK's and two Mi-35P's (destined for Penerbad). The export Flankers will have a drogue refuelling probe. The two Su-27's arrived with SkU15 at Iswahjudi on August 27, followed by the two Su-30's on September 1. They were officially handed over on September 20, 2003.

If anybody has any up to date information corrections are welcome
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 12:05:23 AM by nonpilot »

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
Re: Indonesia AF
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 02:29:53 AM »
It's not only money, it's also Indonesia's political unstability and human rights violations that hinders the relationship with the West and thus supply of weapons.

I don't think UK will even think about selling Typhoon to Indonesia. It would be the ultimate revenge on Singapore and Australia for not choosing the Typhoon though, hehe.  >:D

The 1997 Flanker contract was cancelled. Check out the Su-27/Su-30 sections.

Indonesia wants more Flankers, but is not shopping yet. Although it was close to signing for more prior to the 2006 floods. At the moment those 2003 Flankers are mostly sitting in their hangars, it's too expensive to operate so little of them, there was some issue with the communications equipment, and they lack weapons. I guess training is a problem too. They want to order more soon, to have at least 12.

With so much trouble of getting a unit of Flankers operational, you think they can afford to go Typhoon? It's at least twice as expensive as the Flanker.
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 03:44:02 AM »
It's at least twice as expensive as the Flanker wow I didn't know that.   I would like to see a chart of fighters with different facts like the one you mention.

Something like
                                                           Operational expense / maintenance per man power hours / engine life -overhaul /Gen. cost
Su-30 M/MK/MKM type Flanker
Typhoon T1/T2
Rafale 2/M
Viper Block 50/52
F-15C
Mig-29A/SE
Mig-29 SMT

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 03:39:48 AM »
Right, about 2x purchase price, but probably also at least 2x cheaper to run and maintain. But if you're not flying at NATO rate, and have short term vision, it's less important than the contract value, since that's the big one that will put a big dent in the budget plans.

It's maybe the most difficult data to get accurates on. It's mostly classified, especially for new types. You can probably get on a very detailed level with it. It takes a fair bit of research. Many variables with each source.

Maybe for your purpose it's enough to get just some cost per flying hour estimates instead of all the different cost.

Market prices are very difficult because it depends on many factors: equipment fit, weapons included, spares included, number of aircraft, production agreements, training, tech transfer, offset programs, financial terms, contract type, and so on, and then it's highly depending on the year due to interest rates, currency rates. Then you have development costs if not off-the-shelf or some change, upgrade included.
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA