MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Saudi Tornado fighters being upgraded  (Read 7836 times)

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
Saudi Tornado fighters being upgraded
« on: September 20, 2007, 03:33:45 AM »
My question is worth to upgraded the Saudi Arabia's Tornado fighters or should the new Typhoon's be able to carry out similar missions?   I wonder if Saudi Arabia's F-15s could some how be equipped for attack missions I know their not the E models but at least they might serve a duel purpose.  The Tornado's are true attack/striker so I guess it makes more sense it just seems a waste of the Eagles they have.  I assume the Typhoon's would take over the interceptor/fighter role right?   What will happen to Saudi Arabia's , Eagles once the Typhoon's active?   Iran's is still the Kingdom's main threat and the new Typhoon's, F-15S'Ss, and upgraded Tornado, are more then enough to deal with anything Iran has.   

Story I found
http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2007/09/18/216775/saudi-arabia-reveals-progress-of-tornado-upgrade.html

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
Re: Saudi Tornado fighters being upgraded
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 04:27:42 AM »
Some updated info I found on Saudi Arabia's fleet

Boeing Awarded $49.2 Million Contract to Upgrade Saudi AWACS Fleet

ST. LOUIS, Sept. 20, 2007 -- The Boeing Company [NYSE: BA] has been awarded a $49.2 million contract, including options, to upgrade communications aboard Saudi Arabia's fleet of five E-3 Airborne Warning and Control System (AWACS) aircraft.

The U.S. Air Force Electronic Systems Center, Hanscom Air Force Base, Mass., awarded the contract under a foreign military sales agreement.

The enhancement, known as Link 16, is a secure, jam-resistant, digital data link that allows military aircraft, ships and ground units to exchange their tactical pictures in near real time. Link 16 also supports the exchange of text messages and imagery data and provides additional channels for digital voice.

"This secure data and voice link allows direct communication between AWACS and forward positioned fighter aircraft," said Mark Mills, Boeing Saudi AWACS programs manager. "The Link 16 AWACS upgrade is the first in a series of anticipated upgrades to the Saudi AWACS fleet."

Installation and checkout of Link 16 on the first Saudi AWACS aircraft is scheduled to begin in December at Boeing facilities in Seattle, Wash., immediately followed by an interoperability demonstration with a Link 16-modified F-15 fighter. Alsalam Aircraft Co. will upgrade the remaining four aircraft in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. The fleet upgrade is scheduled to be completed in December 2009.

Full story
http://www.boeing.com/news/releases/2007/q3/070920b_nr.html

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
  • What's the next big thing?
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 09:54:04 AM »
Gentlemen of the Republic of Milavia, i beleive we have a situation. ;D

Haha. Why are they upgrading and buying left right?
-JCLim

Offline Gripen

• General of Flight
  • WHATEVER YOUR PAST, THE FUTURE IS GRIPEN!
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 10:17:49 AM »
We're a republic?

Webmaster = President/Prime Minister/Premier
Viggen, Skorpion and other Mods = Cabinet people
Gripen, Raptor and other top posters= um.. Military Generals?

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 10:24:26 AM »
Webmaster: Supreme-dictatot-for-life.

OFF TOPIC.
-JCLim

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2007, 03:19:51 AM »
The Tornado IDS interdiction/strike variants are being upgraded, like the GR.1 => GR.4 upgrade, some standard in between the GR.4 and the level of the less 'adventurous' German and Italian Mid-Life updates. The first Typhoons will replace the Tornado ADV in the air defense role, like it's doing for the F.3 in the UK now,  Saudi Tornado ADVs however have not been upgraded with AMRAAM and ASRAAM as far as I know, so they are dated. If they are upgrading their AWACS with Link 16 now, they didn't receive that upgrade either.

Don't forget the first Typhoons Saudi Arabia will get are most probably Tranche 2 aircraft which don't have the full A-S weapons fit yet, sourced from RAF production lots. The RAF will get more Tranche 3 instead later on, it has more pressing procurement programs anyway. Saudi Arabia will probably have them upgraded later on, but at least they can replace those ADV's soon.

The Tornado IDS upgrade can keep them in service for a long time. You might actually see Typhoons taking the place of the oldest F-15 interceptors, before the Tornado IDS are replaced by, well probably the JSF then.

For the press, all military jets smaller than a boeing 737 are called fighters.  :P Sometimes fighterbombers, but that is kinda long for use in a headline.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 03:24:19 AM by Webmaster »
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 11:17:49 AM »
For the press? I've never heard of the A-4 being refered to as a fighter through and through here. It's either A-10, Super Skyhawk or Fighter-Attack. And the G-550 is smaller than the 737. It's called an 'AEW airplane'
-JCLim

Offline alyster

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2007, 02:17:06 PM »
For the press? I've never heard of the A-4 being refered to as a fighter through and through here. It's either A-10, Super Skyhawk or Fighter-Attack. And the G-550 is smaller than the 737. It's called an 'AEW airplane'

Don't get the poor journas confuesed, we were just making progres! It's not like they'd be able to do any difference between A-4 and F-4 anyways. Estonian media was that dumb that they posted a pic with 2 F16s, 2 F15s and 2 Tomcats(or was it a Hornet, can't remember that well) and said, "There's a F-16 Falcon fighter on the picture. "
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 02:20:56 PM by alyster »
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2007, 02:38:42 AM »
Well lucky you then Raptor.

I know Alyster, even when common sense is enough to see that the caption is not right, they still don't bother. Actually let's create a (-nother?) topic about this on the media board and get back on topic here...

Nonpilot, I think they are keeping all of their aircraft as long as possible (lifetime wise) in service. It hasn't been too long ago I think to retire their F-5E/F Tiger IIs for example. Iran is not the only threat to the Kingdom, it's also a mather of balance with Israel and perhaps other Arabic nations such as Syria and Egypt as well. And nobody knows what will eventually become of Iraq. The middle east is just too volatile to establish now what your military needs will be after the next 5-10 years. It can't wait for the JSF (or the permission to buy it), so the Typhoons and Tornado upgrades make a lot of sense.

How many F-15S did they buy and how's the delivery going? Anyone?
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2007, 09:47:31 AM »
I was wondering... The RSAF is still using the F-5. In fact, we'll be using the A-4 for another at least 4 years. Why retire the F-5?
-JCLim

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2007, 05:10:17 PM »
It still operates one F-5 squadrons I think, the rest is for sale... I think Mexico and Brazil were interested in buying them, not sure what happened.

Singapore is using the remaining A-4s as trainers. Saudi Arabia has enough Hawks for that.
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2007, 05:34:42 AM »
A-4SUs. And they're looking for a replacement soon. France folks must be pretty happy to have an antique afb nearby.
-JCLim

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA