MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Su-30MKM fighters  (Read 9890 times)

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
Su-30MKM fighters
« on: May 25, 2007, 09:11:54 PM »
Does this mean the Malaysian air force might drop either or both Fulcrums & Hornets?  Would it make sense to go with one type?  Could one type fill there needs?   Are the other fighters up for sale?   

May 24, 2007 23:56 PM     

Sukhoi Fighter Aircraft A Tactical And Strategic Asset

From Mohd Haikal Mohd Isa

IRKUTSK (Russia), May 24 (Bernama) -- Royal Malaysian Air Force (RMAF) Chief Jen Datuk Seri Azizan Ariffin said the Sukhoi Su-30MKM multi-role fighter jet is a tactical and strategic asset to RMAF as its ability to cover long distances puts it on par with the air forces of neighbouring states.

"The Su-30MKM will act as a deterrent to parties that try to threaten the sovereignty of Malaysia," said Azizan when signing an early acceptance certificate for the delivery of two Su-30MKMs (M52-01 and M52-02) from representatives of Russian state corporation Rosoboronexport and the Irkut Aircraft Corporation here today.

The rest of the story is here
http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=263981

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
Re: Su-30MKM fighters
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 06:40:08 PM »
Hi Raptor
I just did some fast searching and didn't find any info on there Fulcrums and Hornets.   I plan to do some heavy in depth searching later tonight I'll find something. 

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 05:20:50 AM »
Just found this there keeping the Fulcrums but doesn't mention the Hornets

http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=264222

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 01:46:06 PM »
Probably some of the Su-30MKM reports said that it would replace the MiG-29, so that's why this report is released without the need of mentioning about the Hornet. But those Hornets are D versions produced in the 1990s, delivered 1997. So they wouldn't be replaced now, maybe could use an upgrade in a few years time. Also they fulfill primarily the strike and interdiction role within the RMAF, not the fighter role.

However I think it's a likely option that Malaysia will order additional Flankers, for delivery in 2010-2015 that will replace the Fulcrums/Hornets, or if they are not happy with the Su-30MKM we could see a new mixed fleet of Su-30MKM and F/A-18E/F Super Hornets. Su-30MKM are two-seaters, so maybe the RMAF would want the F/A-18E single-seater as Fulcrum replacement!

We'll see.

• Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 05:41:37 PM »
Hi Webmaster
You know I never knew all there Hornet's were D models I guess it's for training purposes.   I assume the D models carry less fuel because of the second seat so it must have a little shorter range.   The D model Hornets are pretty modern aircraft but I would think the newer Su-30MKM Flankers would surpass the Hornets even in radar.   I wounder if having only eight models is worth it in the long run for maintenance and training needs?   For Malaysia air force to maintain three different two engine fighters must be costly venture on there part.   I think one will be placed in storage or sold off within three years time it just cost too much to maintain three types.   I would be willing bet that the Hornet has the lowest maintenance of the three but I'm sure spare parts aren't cheap.   I read that F-15s needs three or four times more maintenance hours compared to a F-16.   I always wanted to know the maintenance comparisons between the Fulcrum and Flanker since there both twin engine fighters?     I know the Flanker is much larger it's even bigger then an F-14 but it's also a newer design then the a Fulcrum and might have better maintenance benefits built in.    Do you know anything about this or know where I can look?  Thanks in advance if you can help.   

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 08:30:39 PM »
I've learn that Malaysia is oil heavy and can afford all three types including training, pilots, weapons, and new purchases as well.   I think from reading about different countries Flankers that Malaysia's Flankers might only be behind India's a little bit.  And a little bit of info I didn't know before is that Malaysia Flanker and Fulcrum personnel are both being trained by Indian personnel.   

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2007, 01:33:02 PM »
Well, I am sure both are expensive to maintain, probably need more maintenance and inspection. But with the ties with India, I don't think spares are a problem. Yeah, Eastern parts are probably cheaper than Western parts. Also don't forget that the Flanker's engines come from a very capable and experienced engine company.

The AL-31F design was actually based on the RD-33. Now, I don't have many numbers, but my Flanker book tells me the AL-31F has an original life of 1,000 hours and specified life of 1,500 hours (not sure what is meant by that). It also says they are superior to the F100 and F110 engines, including longer service life. Regarding the AL-31FP TVC engines... I'd say more moving parts, more maintenance.

The MiG-29 fullfilled the low in the high-low fighter mix, I'd be surprised if the MiG-29 maintenance-wise would cost more than a Su-27, it's only a slightly older design. The Su-27 was designed to beat the F-15, not to be more economical to operate.

Maybe you can find info regarding MiG-29 maintenance from German sources, to compare with western aircraft. For Flanker vs Fulcrum info, I guess it depends on what is released from India. Maybe there is info from Russia, but I haven't got it.
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 11:22:45 PM »
Just a little update I found stating at the moment four fighter jet pilots are being trained in Russia, while 117 technicians and other officers are undergoing training in India.   I wonder if Fulcrum pilots and technicians are being trained in India as well? 

The story I found
http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=272333

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
  • What's the next big thing?
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2007, 04:12:28 PM »
Well, from what i know of my big neighbour, this isn't exactly their best business day...

The Hornet D models have improved range, i thought? Not sure but i thought that was why they were wider. Sorry i've been finishing up my studies for the year and i totally can't remember anything.

Malaysia has Hawks. From the talk out in the streets, the main reason M'sia is choosing the weapons it chooses is political. Singapore nearly got the Su-37, did i mention before? We'd see some crazy loops here, if it went through. Unfortunately...That *#(#^@ safety thing again. But they went for the F-15. Even the Tiffy might have been fun to watch. Now the F-15. The F-15 is one h#ll of a great plane, but it just poses. Ok i'm being selfish here. The pilots have a right to live. ;D

M'sia is a big place. Pretty big, compared to our little Island. They don't have the biggest budget in the world. Any idea how they'll maintain everything?

There was this incident where one of their Hawks just disappeared off the coast of Johor and was never seen again...
-JCLim

Offline osuorsa

• Pilot
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2007, 03:20:23 AM »
2Raptor - The Malaysian Hornets are just normal F/A-18Ds from the latest Block. There's no widened bodies...But with the three drop tanks the Hornet has long range.

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2007, 03:48:10 AM »
Raptor, I think you are confused with the F/A-18E/F Super Hornet, which is still on Malaysia's wish list and might be ordered instead of more Flankers.
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
  • What's the next big thing?
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2007, 09:23:41 AM »
Ah yes, i just realised i am. Was reading a book just now... Thanks.
-JCLim

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA