MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Su-35 Updates  (Read 5652 times)

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
Su-35 Updates
« on: May 17, 2009, 02:58:43 PM »
March 23, 2009
Su-35 prototypes bort '901' and '902' accumulated 100 test flights in total, finalized flight control system tests.

The third prototype is a static airframe for ground testing only.

April 26, 2009
The fourth prototype (third flying) destroyed in high speed taxi run incident shortly before the scheduled first flight. Eugene Frolov safely ejected. Aircraft destroyed by fire, after the aircraft ran off the end of the Runway at Komsomolsk-na-Amur (Dzemgi) and hit an obstacle.

Sukhoi announced that because of the good progress with the first two prototypes, the program won't be affected by the loss.

(remember: Yakovlev claimed the Yak-130 program would not be delayed because of its prototype loss some years ago, while arguably it did have an impact)

• Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline SukhoiLover

• Fighter Ace
Re: Su-35 Updates
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 04:51:41 PM »
I read in other forum that this third prototype was supposed to be "THE SU-35 BM", by this, i mean that i read that this was the prototype that was supposed to be carrying all the changes marketed by Sukhoi (RAM materials, the new radar, etc).

If this is true, then i´m with Webmaster on this one, i guess there will be a delay for sure
http://sukhoitribute.blogspot.com/

English version: http://sukhoitributeenglish.blogspot.com/

Pavel be proud of your legacy!!!!

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
Re: Su-35 Updates
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 05:47:48 PM »
Yeah, but that doesn't mean it was already carrying the full weapons suite. Often new Sukhoi prototypes first make their maiden flight before being fitted with the new equipment, so if the radar unit destined is not lost on this aircraft, then it could now be fitted to the first prototype and take its place. But yeah, of course this means a delay which can only be fixed by accelerating production of the forthcoming prototypes...thus more costs.
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA