MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Taiwan F-16 C/D  (Read 8209 times)

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
Taiwan F-16 C/D
« on: September 10, 2007, 04:45:04 AM »
Can Taiwan buy French fighters or have the French bowed down to Chinese pressure?    I'm reading about how Taiwan's President wants advance Vipers badly and thought about their Mirage 2000-5s.   It would be a killer sale for the French to get Taiwan to buy and or maybe even produce the Rafale.   It must be a Chinese government thing why it hasn't happen yet if some one knows I would like to know.

The F-16 C/D request story
http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2007/09/08/2003377773

Offline Sergei

• Pilot
Re: Taiwan F-16 C/D
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 05:11:42 PM »
How much I know, for Taiwan are available 57 Mirage--2000-5. It, certainly, anything in comparison with 99 Chinese Su-30 (76 Su-30MKK and 23 Su-30MK2). In any case Taiwan in case of war with China doesn't have any chances. If the USA will not help...
Жыве Беларусь!

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 05:31:47 PM »
Military wise in case of a war I understand if China really pressed it would be over within days.   That's not what I was asking I wanted to know if Taiwan government can buy French fighters?   Has France bowed down to Chinese pressure and refused to sell anymore fighters to Taiwan?    It seems the US isn't to warm to the subject and that maybe going with French fighters again would gets them two suppliers.   The newer Rafales would give them a solid fighter and an attacker too plus in a pinch if their airfields were knocked out could land on US carries.   

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
  • What's the next big thing?
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 11:13:59 AM »
As far as i know, france rarely does that bow-down-to pressure thing.
-JCLim

Offline Globetrotter

• Hero of Flight
  • I'm Thomas (now Globetrotter)
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2007, 03:53:46 PM »
well, she did suck GBritain's arse when they sabotaged our missiles and embargoed us during the Malvinas war... and France and the britts are not exactly friends from the eternity...
"Ad Astra Per Aspera"   (5º Grupo de Caza ≈ A-4AR Fightinghawk)

~ MALVINAS ARGENTINAS ~

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2007, 12:43:06 AM »
France hung Peru out to dry in 1995

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2007, 02:53:14 PM »
well, she did suck GBritain's arse when they sabotaged our missiles and embargoed us during the Malvinas war... and France and the britts are not exactly friends from the eternity...

How romantic, GT.  ::) ::) ::)

Ha. Ok, so they have bowed-to-pressure before. The US does that more often, actually, and unless you know this little dot of a superpower nation, you'd have second thoughts about saying any country bows to the pressure of another.
-JCLim

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2007, 06:49:34 PM »
Many governments lets say have a change of heart at times mind being on that list for sure.    England and France are descent size trading parters to each other and are part of many Europeans agreement's.    It wasn't a case of France bowing down to England not at all it was France not supporting Argentina's military for attacking the Falkland Islands in the first place.   France not supporting Peru during their short 1995 war most likely 60/40 government pressure and losing future business.   France now that I look at things had little couldn't gain really by helping either side in 1995.   Both Ecuador and Peru are clients, France wants to keep them both remember  France is just being to lose huge markets to the United States.   Throwing away even small potential buyers isn't the way to go so not helping was there only choice.   Brazil also played a large role in that peace process as well and France was knocking down Brazil's door trying to get them to buy Mirage 2000's and other goodies.   It seems France had to take a step back too much government pressure for the trouble it may have cause for supporting either Ecuador or Peru at that time.  Money wise  not not even saying who was right or wrong in both wars, Ecuador, Peru, and Argentina just wern't worth it to France for the amount trouble it might have be aimed at them for doing so, if that makes sense.   
    Back to 1982 Brazil if I remember correctly  wasn't a big supporter of Argentina's government or their military attack at that time either didn't they allow British bombers to land or something like that.   A bomber or tanker had engine problems or was low on fuel something like and made a landing in Brazil.   I have to look that up I know I saw something on that I may have my facts mixed up on that a little.   

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 09:38:12 AM »
Oh. I see. So who thinks France will bow to the Chinese pressure?  ;D
-JCLim

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007, 07:31:13 PM »
I think France is trying hard to get a Chinese deal and break the European ban placed in China.  I think or feel China has pressured France into not selling anymore aircraft to Taiwan.   My two cents Taiwan is Argentina/Peru/Ecuador to France the chance of one day landing the China deal has dollar signs popping out of their heads.  China would jump at a chance to sign a 200/300 aircraft deal with France including tech transfer they couldn't wire the money there faster enough.  China spent around $86 billion last year on arms who you rather land as a customer?   Taiwan chump change compared to a large Chinese contract.    I always thought it was strange that Taiwan never placed any follow up orders more Mirage 2000-5 and/or missiles.  Never even heard of the Rafale being offered at all period with to me means political pressure.   

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA