MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: U.S. nears $1 billion multiyear V-22 aircraft deal  (Read 5954 times)

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
U.S. nears $1 billion multiyear V-22 aircraft deal
« on: February 19, 2008, 03:49:47 AM »
I did read good things so far but doesn't seem a little quick? 

U.S. nears $1 billion multiyear V-22 aircraft deal
Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:31pm EST

By Jim Wolf

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States is close to agreeing to a $1 billion-plus multiyear contract for the revolutionary V-22 tilt-rotor transport aircraft built by Boeing Co (BA.N: Quote, Profile, Research) and Textron Inc's (TXT.N: Quote, Profile, Research) Bell Helicopter unit, a senior Navy official said on Tuesday.

"We're finalizing negotiations," William Balderson, who runs air programs for the Navy and Marine Corps, told Reuters in an interview.

The multiyear deal would cover purchases in fiscal 2008 through 2012 of the MV-22, the Marine Corps' version of the Osprey, a controversial hybrid that flies like an airplane but takes off and lands like a helicopter.

In development for over 25 years, the V-22 suffered three fatal flight tests before it was found suitable in 2005 for military use.

The Osprey is designed to replace the aging workhorse CH-46 Sea Knight helicopter. It can fly twice as fast at more than twice the altitude, with three times the payload and six times the range, according to the Navy.

A multiyear contract is good news for the contractors because it makes it easier for them to buy raw materials, streamline production and make hiring plans.

Production would reach 30 aircraft in fiscal 2009, which starts October 1, and would stay at that level through 2012 in a deal worth $1 billion to $1.1 billion, Balderson said after speaking to a defense-technology conference sponsored by Aviation Week magazine.

Earlier, Marine Corps commandant Gen. James Conway told the same session "the fact is we'd like to get a multiyear on the aircraft so that we complete our buy and save some money in the process over time."

Conway said the corps was trying to "suppress" news for now on performance of the V-22, which made its combat debut in Iraq in September.

"It's just that we don't want to overpromise and underdeliver," he said.

A total of 458 V-22s are expected to be built for the Marines, U.S. Air Force and U.S. Navy at an average unit cost of $110 million per aircraft.

The Air Force's version is due to start operating next year.

Link
http://www.reuters.com/article/reutersEdge/idUSGOR28078120080213

Offline Gripen

• General of Flight
  • WHATEVER YOUR PAST, THE FUTURE IS GRIPEN!
Re: U.S. nears $1 billion multiyear V-22 aircraft deal
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 06:05:12 AM »
Hang on, I thought the V-22 was already in service, its the Osprey right?

???

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
  • What's the next big thing?
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 09:38:09 AM »
OV-22 Osprey... But they don't have many i think.

Kind of a dangerous thing. Even worse than choppers...
-JCLim

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 02:38:18 PM »
It was sad that lives were lost during trials and testing and I think a total of three crashed.  I don't have the figure off the top of my head but it's safe to assume other aircraft or helicopters may have crashed as well during trials and testing periods and not just the V-22.   I read two articles about it and the US Marines said they have put it through all types of real in the field testing and it's passed.  I did read that there isn't enough spare parts in the region and that they still learning what is needed maintenance wise to support it but overall it's doing well.  I just thought another year of field testing might have been needed.   One can assume the US Marines like it and want or need it as a replacement for the CH-46 types. 

Gripen
Hang on, I thought the V-22 was already in service, its the Osprey right?
Raptor is correct they don't have them is high numbers and more are needed
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 08:18:05 PM by nonpilot »

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 11:26:14 AM »
But assuming they really do desperately need a replacement for the CH-46, they'd spend quite alot on maintenance and production, not to mention crew training, etc.

Which means this 1bill budget is quite low for 458 aircraft... I expect maintenance would be many times higher than a swing wings...
-JCLim

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 03:11:04 PM »
Yes, it's in service, most still at the test and evaluation units and conversion squadron I suppose. The MV-22 has actually been deployed to the Gulf already as well, so it's operational. But yes, in limited numbers. The CV-22 is at similar stage, also entering service. I think only the SAR/CSAR variant remains in development stage.

Which means this 1bill budget is quite low for 458 aircraft... I expect maintenance would be many times higher than a swing wings...

1 billion is not a budget, it's not for the total 458 aircraft either, it's the estimated value for a production contract for the years 2009 to 2012 for the USMC...at 30 a year that means 90 aircraft if the mentioned 2012 is the real year, or 120 if the 2012 fiscal year is included. At $110 per aircraft, it's probably production of 90 aircraft over FY2009, FY2010, FY2011, which would then end in 2012.

The USAF has begun retiring H-53s already, starting with the special operations versions, which will be replaced by Ospreys. Actually taking into account the recent update of the H-46 fleet, I actually think that replacing those USMC MH-53s is of bigger priority than the H-46.

Uhm, maybe three, I thought it was more, it depends on how you define a crash. Sad thing is on at least one occassion it had a full load of Marines, who were all killed.

I have more info, but I'd have to look/read for it, USN/USMC helicopters and units are not really my area.
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 05:02:27 PM »
Raptor
I expect maintenance would be many times higher than a swing wings
Swing wing tech has come a long way since F-111s, F-14s and Mig-23s and helicopter by themselves are high maintenance and maintenance intensive.   The newer V-22 is much more modern then the two helicopters it's replacing (older designs) so I expect less maintenance hours per hour of flight. 

The full load of US Marine lost was very sad.  Its not my area either knowing about this aircraft nor in helicopter in general besides basic stuff and have no idea why real US Marines were used in testing.  I can only assume at that stage real personnel were needed and they were that far along in the testing process without major problem and/or felt it was trusted enough to do so.  It's just very sad about the US Marines lost this aircraft did have a rough start and middle stages lets hope if finishes strong. 

Older link to info
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/v-22.htm

A myspace video of the crash I found
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=8845550

More modern info
http://www.navair.navy.mil/V22/index.cfm?fuseaction=news.detail&id=149

The truth about the Osprey
http://www.navair.navy.mil/V22/index.cfm?fuseaction=news.detail&id=193

I can see why the US Marines want it.
A quote from one of the above sites
 'More bang'

Marine Lt. Gen. John Castellaw, deputy commandant for aviation, said the Osprey already would give the Marines "more bang for our buck" than aging CH-46 helicopters.

Gen. Castellaw said 12 CH-46s are needed to transport a company of 180 Marines 70 miles, and they take two hours and 15 minutes to do it.

Eight Ospreys could do the job in 17 minutes, he said.

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 07:31:50 AM »
Oh-kay... So total cost would be massive...? Ouch.

nonpilot-true, but still, it's something being introduced... I don't think per-flight-hour costs would be much lower than a helicopter's, taking into account all the big moving parts.

Wonder if they'll ever fit jet engines onto the tips of those wings...  ;D
-JCLim

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA