MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Brazil to sign helicopter deal with France  (Read 4410 times)

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
Brazil to sign helicopter deal with France
« on: March 12, 2008, 02:30:48 PM »
Does anybody know what helicopters the French might be selling to Brazil?  Fifty helicopters is a nice order and I see a relationship building between the two countries.  Still confused on Brazil's government for being interested in buying/building subs and no fighter order placed yet?  Does anybody really think Russia has a chance with the Su-30 or Su-35 with Brazil?  Even know Brazil's a "French" shop I think the lower cost Flanker is getting a little warm?  My gut telling Brazil will low ball this and is waiting on more Rafale's to go active in Frances AF and then buy up a light Mirage 2000-F squadron, sound possible? 

Brazil to sign helicopter deal with France
 By Raymond Colitt
BRASILIA, March 11 (Reuters) - Brazil will sign a deal with France by July to build 50 military helicopters as part of a broader strategic defense alliance, Brazil's defense minister said on Tuesday.
"We should sign all the necessary documents in June or July," Nelson Jobim told Reuters in an interview. A Brazilian subsidiary of Eurocopter is to build the units, he said.
Both countries are also to sign by December a strategic defense alliance including the construction of a nuclear submarine in Brazil, Jobim said.
"I don't see any obstacle (to the submarine deal). There's political agreement," Jobim said.
The idea was to create a joint venture to build at least one conventional submarine and subsequently another one with nuclear propulsion developed by Brazil.
Brazil has embarked on a major program to upgrade its armed forces, planning to buy and build equipment to defend offshore oil riches and a porous border in the Amazon jungle.
"We won't have a dissuasive force in the Atlantic if we don't have a fast tool -- the nuclear submarine -- with domestic participation," Jobim said.
The Brazilian government is keen to stress it has no problems with neighboring governments and does not want to provoke a Latin American arms race with a wave of military spending, whose estimated size has not been made public.
Jobim emphasized the proposed submarine was not an attack vessel and would not be armed with nuclear missiles. (Editing by Doina Chiacu)

Link
http://www.guardian.co.uk/feedarticle?id=7376860

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
Re: Brazil to sign helicopter deal with France
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 04:15:22 AM »
It's concerning 50 Cougar helicopters.

Your other questions are better fitted in the Boeing studies bid for Brazil topic.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 03:32:24 PM by Webmaster »
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA