MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: F-22 taxiway collision causes $1 million damage  (Read 4919 times)

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
F-22 taxiway collision causes $1 million damage
« on: April 22, 2009, 12:42:05 AM »
F-111C/C
Can I assume the pilot future promotions will come a little slower?  Could ground personnel be towing the F-22 when it happen?

F-22 taxiway collision causes $1 million damage
DATE:17/04/09
SOURCE:Flightglobal.com

By Stephen Trimble

A US Air Force Lockheed Martin F-22A Raptor has sustained more than $1 million in damage after colliding with another aircraft parked on a taxiway.

A spokesman at Tyndall AFB, Florida, where the incident last week occurred, confirmed the F-22A struck a Canada's Air Force Boeing CF-18.

Despite a $1 million repair bill, the collision was a relatively minor, low-speed event, the spokesman says. Details of the damage are being withheld pending the results of a safety investigation.

The USAF defines a Class A safety mishap as any incident resulting in death or disabling injury to people or more than $1 million worth of damage to the aircraft.

Meanwhile, the RCAF has also dispatched a safety investigation team to Tyndall, says a spokesman for the 1st Canadian Air Division.

The spokesman was unable to immediately provide details about the damage sustained by the parked CF-18.

Source
http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2009/04/17/325325/f-22-taxiway-collision-causes-1-million-damage.html

Offline F-111 C/C

• Hero of Flight
Re: F-22 taxiway collision causes $1 million damage
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 03:37:29 AM »
From what I've read on the incident is was while taxiing, not ground handling and although little damage was done to the F-22, the cost of proprietary materials is what drove the price to $1 million.
Wars are won by carrying the 'heavy iron' downtown!

Offline Eldorado82

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 06:33:45 AM »
From what I've read on the incident is was while taxiing, not ground handling and although little damage was done to the F-22, the cost of proprietary materials is what drove the price to $1 million.

F-111 did accident like that occured in the years of your service? interest to know wheter safety failures are present in the USAF :police:

now. about the accident. to my opinion as one that was involved in investigating 3 accidents of a same kind- probably there was a reason like pilot just looked inside the cockpit for a split second and the accident had happen. this accident is probably happened that the Raptor's wingtip bruiser the other plane.
Indeed the damage is minor and 1 million $ is going to cover the technical repairs of the wing. dont remember that much of F22 is made of composite materials and repairment of a such costs lots of $.
i worked a period of 4 months in a clean room that produced composited material parts for Boeing Dreamliner ( B-787)

sometimes there is no connection between accidents that happened and promotion of a pilot. By the way
- what was pilot's rank?
- how many flight hours he had?

From my personal experience:
when a A-4Tj &40 came back from solo flight - a canopy was accidentally ejected in emergency mode ( canopy ejection handle was pulled instead of normal one). the aircraft stood grounded for half year, as the canopy was made in US ( due to the elderness of plane the canopies are not made in  mass production.) the canopy that we recieved was setted up for A-4T(h) so i've had to lie it upside down and change the inner wiring of the canopy.
the pilot finished the Academy as planned
But again this accident happened with A-4. And that accident happened with F-22...
Remembering Steven "TigerShark" Zeluff

Offline F-111 C/C

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 03:13:25 PM »
We would have ground handling mishaps from time to time. They would usually involve someone who didn't spend a lot of time around the aircraft (like a 'back shop' guy) moving equipment and run into the pitot probe or a fuel truck too close clipping a wingtip but not very often. I can't remember a taxiing incident ever happening but I'm sure they had a few. The USAF used to say about pilots that when they screw up they move up. I guess when you're taken off flying status, it's actually easier to get promoted.
Wars are won by carrying the 'heavy iron' downtown!

Offline Eldorado82

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 04:53:00 PM »
We would have ground handling mishaps from time to time. They would usually involve someone who didn't spend a lot of time around the aircraft (like a 'back shop' guy) moving equipment and run into the pitot probe or a fuel truck too close clipping a wingtip but not very often. I can't remember a taxiing incident ever happening but I'm sure they had a few. The USAF used to say about pilots that when they screw up they move up. I guess when you're taken off flying status, it's actually easier to get promoted.

now about the back shop guys:  we had a strict order to move any equipment only by permission from aircraft tech's. like....i had to watch how he moves a stand or a cockpit ladder...
Remembering Steven "TigerShark" Zeluff

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 03:04:49 AM »
... or the aircraft clips the truck.  ;)
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA